Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009  (Read 6071 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 02:29:11 am »

My brain froze up at "mud pooter".

That sounds like what your gay grandfather would call his lover's ass.

If he lived in Tupelo, right. That's totally the image my brain was going for but couldn't quite make it to.

Also, I loves me some Lyle. I have this framed on my wall, and look at it every morning when I get up.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 02:58:58 am »

Great strip but I'm just confused we actually got a follow through on one of the 'next year in achewood' strips.

Also Lyle's ability to perceive that as being a woman must use a sense I am unfamiliar with. I glanced at the panel before I started reading and assumed it was one of his fry jockies.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 03:26:30 am »

Also Lyle's ability to perceive that as being a woman must use a sense I am unfamiliar with.

It's a sense that comes naturally when you spend too much time in places like Gainesville.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 03:27:16 am »

I just got it! 

I just realized that I subconsciously associate Gainesville with Mr. Gaines from A Different World! 

It all makes sense now! 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 04:58:04 am »

oh underline tag how you disappoint

who else tried to click A Different World up there?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 05:45:01 am »

Me (I did).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Unless you want to ghost-write this as an actual ghost - March 10 2009
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 09:46:48 am »

But you were mistaken. "Fuckin' left coast power wimp" is the correct thread title. The strip's punchline is a borderline pun and has no business being commemorated here.

You take that back!

MagFlare

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 33
    • View Profile
Re: Unless you want to ghost-write this as an actual ghost - March 10 2009
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 02:45:13 pm »

You take that back!

Never, sir. There's only one appropriate place for puns: immediately preceding the phrase "no pun intended," in which case they're being apologized for.

And in Family Circus, I guess, because the only people who read Family Circus are about to die anyway.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 03:05:57 pm »

No pun in ten did.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 04:09:53 pm »

Never, sir.

Then we shall have to settle this like gentlemen.

By agreeing it is a trivial matter.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Unless you want to ghost-write this as an actual ghost - March 10 2009
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 05:59:54 pm »

"no pun intended"

I take the alternate view. All puns are always intended, all the time. When you say "no pun intended" you're just trying to highlight your own cleverness, and therefore annoying me.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Unless you want to ghost-write this as an actual ghost - March 10 2009
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2009, 12:43:24 am »

I take the alternate view. All puns are always intended, all the time. When you say "no pun intended" you're just trying to highlight your own cleverness, and therefore annoying me.

All of you are wrong. There is a legitimate use for the phrase, and here is an example.

I manage a software application called Insight. It is having some persistent problems. We are trying to use various diagnostic tools to find out what is wrong with it. These tools are coming up bust. We are trying to find better tools and explain why the tools we have haven't worked. In many cases the sentence will go akin to: "X tool hasn't given us any, pun not intended, insight into what's going on in the internals."

There are precious few synonyms that convey both the concepts of visibility and intuition. In such a case, insight is the best word to use, and thus the pun needs to be eradicated as the reason for saying so.
Logged

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009, 01:12:59 am »

I think there is a marked difference between "pun not intended" and "no pun intended". The former is, I agree, atrocious. The latter is something I don't find offensive.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

MagFlare

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 33
    • View Profile
Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2009, 03:29:12 am »

Then we shall have to settle this like gentlemen.

By agreeing it is a trivial matter.

/visibly deflates
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2009, 04:06:48 am »

/gives tiny can
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up