Why was this topic locked? I re-opened it, hopefully it was locked because of a mis-click or something.
We've already given up a lot. We moved out of our 3 bedroom house into a 2 bedroom apartment, so our kids share a room (which is becoming a fairly major problem, actually, since they're reaching an age where they wake each other up). We have no land line and no cable. We keep Neflix, but that's only $9/mo, and we keep that mainly for access to the online library through the Roku. It's our alternative to cable, basically.
I'm already a very frugal shopper and I use coupons and shop sales and plan meals according to what's available for cheap. (I got five bottles of salad dressing for $3.19 this week. Not $3.19 each. $3.19 for all five together.) So we don't eat as well as we could or should. (One week we had hamburger helper four times in seven days because it was buy-one-get-one and I had $0.75 coupons, which my store doubles, and ground beef was on sale for $1.99/lb in bulk packs.) But we've paid off almost $20,000 worth of consumer debt in the last 18 months, so that's a big plus.
We get pizza on Mondays, but Pedro gets if half-price through work, so we can feed the whole family for under $10. I feel that's worthwhile.
I guess if we really got into a crunch we'd have to drop date nights. We pay Pedro's sister $35/week so that we can go out, and usually we eat out (even if it's just fast food) on top of that. It's expensive, but before we started having date nights our relationship was in a very rocky place, so we figured the investment was worth it. But if we had to give it up again, I guess we would.
And if things got really bad, we could get rid of our second car. I suppose I could drop Little P off at school and take Pedro to work every morning, and I could either pick him up or he could catch a ride home. In nice weather, he could bike. But that would require me to wake up myself and our daughter at 7:45 every morning, and neither she nor I would be very fond of that plan. And it would make weekends problematic. We go separate ways frequently on Sundays, and we'd have to either coordinate much more carefully or drop an activity.
So, yeah. We've made most of the cuts already, and the ones that we could still make would be pretty painful. Fortunately, Pedro's job is safe, and I don't have one to lose. So things aren't likely to get worse for us any time soon.