Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Daisy Owl  (Read 68336 times)

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #240 on: September 13, 2009, 07:44:36 pm »

Naw, I like the way we handle it here.  Appreciation without knob-slobbery.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #241 on: September 13, 2009, 08:39:04 pm »

Rogue boards forever, Barney never!
Rogue boards forever, Barney never!
Rogue boards forever, Barney never!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #242 on: September 13, 2009, 08:52:55 pm »

Holy shits, yo: two of those threads have over 800 replies. And they are only a month and three months old, respectively!
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #243 on: September 13, 2009, 10:31:57 pm »

"So where have you been Toaster?"

"Oh, you know, nowhere."

"Yeah, well we haven't seen you around here much lately."

"I've been busy... with stuff."

"Have you been posting at the Daisy Owl forum?"

"Uhm, maybe..."
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #244 on: September 14, 2009, 08:36:08 pm »

The most recent comic is available as a poster now.
http://www.daisyowl.com/store/posters/
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #245 on: September 16, 2009, 12:08:41 am »

Pamphlet: http://www.daisyowl.com/comic/2009-09-15

Man, that fine would totally suck.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #246 on: September 16, 2009, 01:33:28 am »

Lame.

Good eyebrows, though.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #247 on: September 16, 2009, 02:12:43 am »

I just realized why I don't like Daisy Owl as much as it seems like it should:

I want it to work blue and it doesn't.

It's clever sometimes and often charming but it almost feels too accessable. Too family friendly. Too many punches pulled.

I fully admit this is a "me problem" as the kids say. I'm sure that the creator's vision involves working PG because it adds to a sense of wonder and makes the weirder things weirder in certain ways but, to be honest, it's a point of view I can't really identify with at this point in my life. I need my whismy cut with a healthy dose of cynicism and chased with a glass of angry vulgarity.

It is the same problem with Homestarrunner. I keep feeling like it is holding out on me.

I mean, it's good, Daisy Owl is a good strip but I am perhaps not in the right place to fully enjoy it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #248 on: September 16, 2009, 02:30:47 am »

H*R did once discuss giving people the finger.  But it was Strong Bad with his boxing gloves, so we didn't actually see his middle digit extended.

Man, I haven't checked out H*R in forever.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #249 on: September 16, 2009, 04:57:34 am »


Man, I haven't checked out H*R in forever.

Teen Girl Squad is always a good time.

I just realized why I don't like Daisy Owl as much as it seems like it should:

I want it to work blue and it doesn't.

It's clever sometimes and often charming but it almost feels too accessable. Too family friendly. Too many punches pulled.

I fully admit this is a "me problem" as the kids say. I'm sure that the creator's vision involves working PG because it adds to a sense of wonder and makes the weirder things weirder in certain ways but, to be honest, it's a point of view I can't really identify with at this point in my life. I need my whismy cut with a healthy dose of cynicism and chased with a glass of angry vulgarity.

It is the same problem with Homestarrunner. I keep feeling like it is holding out on me.

I mean, it's good, Daisy Owl is a good strip but I am perhaps not in the right place to fully enjoy it.

See, I was also holding out, and maybe for this exact reason, but this last strip? It reached me.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #250 on: September 16, 2009, 12:57:12 pm »

Lame.

Good eyebrows, though.

Huh. I really enjoyed this one. But a couple weeks ago there was one that I found really weak which everybody else loved.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #251 on: September 16, 2009, 01:02:17 pm »

Huh, it would never occur to me that there's anything wrong with a strip because no one cusses.

In fact now that I think of it one thing that's fascinating about this strip to me is there is something so Achewoodian about it while totally lacking that element. The core of Achewood is really not about the dick jokes, much as we enjoy the freedom to make them. I don't know how to define what it is but it's so interesting that the strips feel like they have so much in common anyway.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #252 on: September 16, 2009, 01:19:20 pm »

Huh. I really enjoyed this one. But a couple weeks ago there was one that I found really weak which everybody else loved.

I was quoting, not commenting.  I was on the phone when I read this strip and it was a real struggle to maintain seriousness.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #253 on: September 16, 2009, 01:21:52 pm »

Huh, it would never occur to me that there's anything wrong with a strip because no one cusses.

Cooper: Steve's cussing! / Mr. Owl: He's cussing?
Cooper: He's cussing! / Mr. Owl: Is he cussing someone out? / Daisy: Who's cussing?
Mr. Owl: Steve's cussing! / Daisy: What is he cussing about? / Cooper: He's just cussing!
Steve: I'm cussing? / Mr. Owl and Daisy: You're cussing! / Cooper: No cussing!
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #254 on: September 16, 2009, 01:24:34 pm »

I was quoting, not commenting.  I was on the phone when I read this strip and it was a real struggle to maintain seriousness.

Alternate response

Daisy Owl is not lame.  It is a serious strip with serious uses.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 24   Go Up