Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The next time you appreciate how nice large titties look, be happy and smile to yourself. You deserve it.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24   Go Down

Author Topic: Daisy Owl  (Read 68260 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #255 on: September 16, 2009, 01:44:28 pm »

Early (to be ashamed of, to be forgotten) achewood was kind of innocent though. Phillipe wasn't exactly the POV character but there was a sense of the others trying to tone things down around him. They were also more innocent because they were stuffed animals and didn't leave the house much.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #256 on: September 16, 2009, 04:20:05 pm »

I, for one, don't find cussing to be a necessary element in comedy.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #257 on: September 16, 2009, 04:33:57 pm »

I, for one, don't find cussing to be a necessary element in comedy.

I'm not averse to it, but the only element I find necessary to comedy is funny.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #258 on: September 16, 2009, 08:34:35 pm »

Cooper: Steve's cussing! / Mr. Owl: He's cussing?
Cooper: He's cussing! / Mr. Owl: Is he cussing someone out? / Daisy: Who's cussing?
Mr. Owl: Steve's cussing! / Daisy: What is he cussing about? / Cooper: He's just cussing!
Steve: I'm cussing? / Mr. Owl and Daisy: You're cussing! / Cooper: No cussing!

Aaron Sorkin took over writing Daisy Owl?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #259 on: September 16, 2009, 08:46:41 pm »

Aaron Sorkin took over writing Daisy Owl?

Remembering the alt-text gets you a can, good sir.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #260 on: September 17, 2009, 12:42:54 am »

I'm not averse to it, but the only element I find necessary to comedy is funny.

I'm not averse to it either.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #261 on: September 17, 2009, 05:14:39 am »

this just makes me imagine people whose conception of comedy is really specific.

"ok, i guess this is making me laugh, but where are the Groucho Marx glasses?"

I am endlessly entertained by jokes based on someone having a really specific criterion for what makes something good.
especially if it's a weird criterion, obviously.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #262 on: September 17, 2009, 06:56:04 am »

Remembering the alt-text gets you a can, good sir.

You should probably take that can back.   I don't recall the Alt text you refer to, however when I read that, I did this in my head.

Dana: Casey's cussing! / Dan: He's cussing?
Dana: He's cussing! / Dan: Is he cussing someone out? / Natalie: Who's cussing?
Dan: Casey's cussing! / Natalie: What is he cussing about? / Dana: He's just cussing!
Casey: I'm cussing? / Dan and Natalie: You're cussing! / Dana: No cussing!
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #263 on: September 17, 2009, 12:50:50 pm »

You should probably take that can back.   I don't recall the Alt text you refer to, however when I read that, I did this in my head.

I was sort of wrong, too. It wasn't alt-text is was a straight-up caption: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12142001
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #264 on: September 17, 2009, 07:56:28 pm »

It is not that swearing is NECESSARY to comedy.

It is that in a long-form storytelling, it feels like an artifical restriction to potential entertainment and that bothers me.

If there was a little swearing here and there and it felt like the potential was there, it wouldn't feel like that.

It is like there is a pebble in my shoe on an otherwise pleasant walk.

I'm a weird person, though, we've covered this.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #265 on: September 17, 2009, 08:01:01 pm »

Mike you do realize there are people out there that rarely or never swear?  I'm one.  I'm not offended by profanity, but I typically find it ineloquent.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #266 on: September 17, 2009, 08:02:22 pm »

I've never seen the Wire, but I read somewhere that one of the characters never swears? Is that true? I really gotta watch that show...
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #267 on: September 17, 2009, 08:08:55 pm »

Yes, that's Omar, who makes his living stealing from the drug dealers. IMHO he's also the only character on the series who isn't believable if you stop and think about it for too long - he's got so many contradictions, they're obviously fictionally purposeful - but maybe he was meant to be.

The good thing about not using profanity often is that it makes a big impression when you do, as I found in that other thread we were having lately.

Also, I bought Honey Nut Cheerios for the first time solely because they are Omar's favorite cereal.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #268 on: September 17, 2009, 08:13:36 pm »

The good thing about not using profanity often is that it makes a big impression when you do, as I found in that other thread we were having lately.

See also: Silent Bob and talking.
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Daisy Owl
« Reply #269 on: September 17, 2009, 08:23:30 pm »

See also: Silent Bob and talking.

...which ties in nicely with one of my weak spots for comedy: profanity that is so extreme as to become ridiculous, borderline nonsensical (as when Randall reads the porn titles in front of that kid in "Clerks" and the titles become progressively more unhinged. I didn't watch that scene, I survived it).
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 24   Go Up