Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wal-Mart in Britain  (Read 7900 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Wal-Mart in Britain
« on: April 18, 2009, 08:45:47 pm »

So, I am doing a big ol' project about Wal-Mart's public relations campaign for my economic anthropology class. I am getting bogged down by how much I want to say, and I keep creating really horrible sentences with too many hyphenated words and things in scare-quotes. At least I get to talk a lot about the Protestant Work Ethic.

But in my research I stumbled upon this, the Wal-Mart cheer for Great Britain:

Give me a A!
Give me a S!
Give me a D!
Give me a A!
Give me a pocket tap!
(everyone taps one pocket)
Give me a profit tap!
(everyone taps the other pocket)
What's that spell?
ASDA.
I can't hear you
ASDA
Whose ASDA is it?
It's my ASDA!
Who's number one?
The Customer! Always!

Awesome.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:58:16 am »

I have a sneaking suspicion this is not yet pervasive.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 11:04:45 am »

I got the impression it is something they make employees do on training days or something similar? Not part of a long term marketing strategy (one hopes).
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 05:37:27 pm »

wal*mart can kiss my asda


(sorry)
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 05:46:03 pm »

It was inspired by the company cheers Sam Walton saw Korean companies doing every morning. The US version is a more normal "gimme a W, gimme an A..."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 09:52:54 pm »

On further reflection there's something kind of tragic about a chant that asks 'who's number 1' and the answer is 'not me, never me'
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 10:29:09 pm »

this is what I am saying in my paper.

it is really interesting how they have created this mythology where wal-mart has become number one through hard work and efficiency, not at all by driving its competitors out of business, avoiding unionization, etc.
reading their history of the company and stuff is insane.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 10:42:14 pm »

If it's not too intrusive I might be kind of interested in reading this when you're done with it. I love this kind of stuff. Like that freaky american apparel story someone linked a few months back.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 12:54:07 am »

I got the impression it is something they make employees do on training days or something similar? Not part of a long term marketing strategy (one hopes).

I'm pretty sure they haven't made any of the employees I know do it.

I wish they had. The aftermath would be extraordinary.

Harlock Hero

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 15
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 29
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 06:49:00 am »

I worked at Wal-Mart for a few months a few years back, and this was a daily requirement. I'm in the US, though, so the chant was the more traditional "Give me a W!" thing.

Two points to note:

1. When they get to the hyphen, they say "Give me a SQUIGGLY!!" "SQUIGGLY!!", and everyone has to wriggle suggestively.

2. After "Who's number one?" "Customer! Always!", you're supposed to do a fist pump and go "HOO-AH!!" like a Marine.

Just thought you'd like to know.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 07:15:41 am »

Yes.

This class... sometimes we are reading some crazy social theorist, and I want to say "this is bullshit, this guy is just some crazy academic who wanted to make a name for himself."
And then I go out in the world and realize... it's all true.

Similar things happen when I watch comedies set in office buildings, etc.

IT'S REALLY LIKE THAT.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 10:18:23 am »

case in point: Wal-Mart's webpage on Diversity is the most tone-deaf and heavy handed thing I have ever seen.

“We have put specific programs in place to ensure we have a talent pool of women and minorities who are well prepared for management jobs.”
"We put our diversity on display"
and to top it all off:
a link to a video of the "I Have a Dream" speech.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 10:31:03 am »

Maybe this is what happens when people who are really good at working at wal mart finally make it to management positions? I mean a few of those assistant managers have to filter through to somewhere important eventually? Maybe the company has been around long enough that the people in charge are now people who drank the kool aid back in the day?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 10:46:49 am »

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 12:50:38 pm »


Similar things happen when I watch comedies set in office buildings, etc.

IT'S REALLY LIKE THAT.

The Office is not funny because it is absurd.  It is funny because it is painfully realistic.

Pain..ful..ly
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up