Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wal-Mart in Britain  (Read 7890 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 01:15:19 pm »

I worked at Wal-Mart for a few months a few years back, and this was a daily requirement. I'm in the US, though, so the chant was the more traditional "Give me a W!" thing.

Two points to note:

1. When they get to the hyphen, they say "Give me a SQUIGGLY!!" "SQUIGGLY!!", and everyone has to wriggle suggestively.

2. After "Who's number one?" "Customer! Always!", you're supposed to do a fist pump and go "HOO-AH!!" like a Marine.

Just thought you'd like to know.

So at the ones that are open 24-hours do they just pick a random time to do this? Kind of like when shows that are on all year with no reruns still have a "season premier"
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 09:30:26 pm »

So at the ones that are open 24-hours do they just pick a random time to do this?
I would think they do it at shift change, to fire the troops up for awesome customer satisfaction1

-JW

1stamp out any vestige of individual identity in the face of monolithic corporate branding
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 12:51:36 am »

This is where I chime in and wonder why so many folks hate the Wal-Mart, but seem to have mad love for Target, another giant faceless corporation?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 02:47:08 am »

do people love Target? I have not experienced that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 03:05:32 am »

I certainly prefer Target to Wal-Mart, though that's dangerously close to damning it with faint praise.

At least Target doesn't REVEL in lowest common demoniatorship, eschews the giant flags and giant :) faces and great heaving aisles of books with pictures of Jesus on them telling you that you're a fuck*ng communist if you don't dumb yourself down to the mean, Harrison Bergeron-style... even if it is nearly just as jank-rate as The Wall. You know, sort of more comes off as K-Mart's brother's putting on airs of suburbia that aren't really that convincing.

Plus, the right colour coordination out of your existing wardrobe and you can pose as an employee and cause all kinds of trouble.

Not that I've... ever done that. Gosh, no. My time is far too valuable and... vital for such things.

Completely.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 03:09:09 am »

This is where I chime in and wonder why so many folks hate the Wal-Mart, but seem to have mad love for Target, another giant faceless corporation?

I can only speak for myself, but I think it has to do with the quality of the goods available, the atmosphere of the stores and behavior of management.

Target generally has better stuff, they're clean and uncrowded.  Wal-Mart has lousy customer service -- you can count on standing in a line for at least 5 minutes to check out.  Never happens at Target.  Wal-Mart treats its employees like shit.  Target doesn't.  I've never heard of Target selling censored versions of movies, books or CDs.  Can't say that about Wal-Mart.

How's that for a start?  
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 05:53:17 am »

Also if you look at statistics of market capitalization Wal-Mart is so far ahead that it is completely insane.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 02:10:35 pm »

Target is often on best employer-type lists. Wal-Mart is not. I don't love the Target, though.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 06:15:28 pm »

Other than the "Seasonal Items" aisle, I've never run into a section of Target that looked like the aftermath of the Vandal sacking of Rome.  Minus the stacks of bodies and burning walls.  The shoppers at Wal-Mart seem to lack the intellectual power to realize the picture on the box is of the product inside, and therefore must tear the packaging open to fumble at the contents.  After a moment, the prize is forgotten and dropped to lie in the tangle of cords, shattered candy, and clothing tags that covers the floor.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 10:46:44 pm »

Target sells Jones Cream Soda.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 11:42:32 pm »

In class today half of the groups gave their presentations.
As proof of her assertion that we use clothes to define our image (who doubted her?) one girl showed a page from a catalog and said "would any of you wear these clothes? I didn't think so."
I am not sure what was wrong with the clothes. I guess they were mom-clothes. (I could tell this because of the models, not because of the clothes themselves.)

But the idea that she said that in a class, in a graded presentation, while wearing clothes that to me looked very similar to the clothes in the ad, is hilarious to me.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 07:58:35 am »

You need one of those [citation needed] signs.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 07:09:46 pm »

I don't know about every Target location, but the three in my area are all very nice.

In addition to the other things already mentioned in this thread, Target knows how to make their operation look good, by which I mean aesthetically. The stores are not so disorientingly sprawling, the aisles are evenly spaced so as to prevent cramping, and the employees don't wear those gods-awful vests. And I prefer a cute puppy with an anatomically impossible fur pattern coloration over an omnipresent dimembodied head any day.

One of the few things Target does that bugs me is their practice of referring to employees as "team members" and customers as "guests". It is, as the philosopher Caulfield would say, "phony".
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 10:20:18 pm »

Yes! Bull terrier!

We don't have Wal-mart where I live, so I have no basis for comparison. Our Target does have pretty long lines. But, bull terrier!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Wal-Mart in Britain
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 01:53:25 am »

We don't have Wal-mart where I live, so I have no basis for comparison.

We have a Wal-Mart out in Fairfax.

In the same shopping center as a Target.

Pls note:  Do not come to Fairfax just to see Wal-Mart.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up