Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Women, Keep Your Virtue  (Read 5414 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 12:03:47 pm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3032052.stm

Sir Sean Connery has been named the actor with the worst movie accent by a UK film magazine.

Movie buffs at Empire magazine gave Sir Sean top spot for his portrayal of Irish cop Jim Malone in the 1987 film The Untouchables.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 01:27:37 pm »

Yeah and he doesn't really have a Moon accent in Outland either.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 02:18:36 pm »

Moon accent.  Heh.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 07:04:34 pm »

When I watched this movie a week ago I thought his accent changed from scottish to random-ish.
I will defer to your fresher memory.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 12:09:30 am »

You guys. 

You guys

I came to this topic from my RSS feed hoping to discuss the merits of pre-marital abstinence -- a topic on which I'm writing an article at the moment, so this visit counts as work --  and all I find is a rundown of all the times Connery has suffered epic accent fail. 

I love you guys. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 01:50:58 am »

You guys. 

You guys

I came to this topic from my RSS feed hoping to discuss the merits of pre-marital abstinence -- a topic on which I'm writing an article at the moment, so this visit counts as work --  and all I find is a rundown of all the times Connery has suffered epic accent fail. 

I love you guys. 

It is easier to remain pre-maritally abstinent than it is for Sean Connery to change his accent.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 03:18:31 am »

wait, but that is so easy.

maybe I'm just a prodigy.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 05:25:52 am »

it is easier for a five year old to solve the Fickian Diffusion Equation than it is for Sean Connery to change his accent
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 06:37:58 am »

Yes, I've heard those feckin' Diffusion Equations are difficult.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 10:34:05 am »

it is easier for a five year old to solve the Fickian Diffusion Equation than it is for Sean Connery to change his accent

An interesting idea: Maybe Sean Connery's accent is so ingrained and immutable that it no longer qualifies as an accent at all. Strictly speaking, an accent is an artifact of the way one learned one's primary language; it may not be "easy-in, easy-out" but it implies that an accent is tied to an initial level of plasticity that subsequently declines.

Sean Connery's "accent," however, is so horribly ingrained, that I'm beginning to question whether it is an accent, or if it is rather a speech impediment. Would Sir Connery still sound the same way, were he brought up a feral child without language? Did his infant babbles have the same brogue? Things to consider, if only to take heart in the fact that Sean Connery wore a diaper at least once before donning it in adult life for Zardoz.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 02:01:47 pm »

Did his infant babbles have the same brogue?

Now that is funny.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 10:44:53 pm »

Women want him, men want to copy his drink.


Extra credit: Caption

Also:
Best Connery quote: "We are talking from the point of strength, what if we were the weak one?" - In reference to Israel/Palestine

Worst: "I don't think there is anything particularly wrong in hitting a woman, though I don't recommend you do it the same way that you hit a man."

You guys

This board definitely has its moments, and they are better than most everything else available on the whole dang internet. A lot of which is done by people who are being paid for it.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2009, 06:42:39 am »

those poor bastards
wait--
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

TripperDay

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 46
    • View Profile
Logged

Cioran

  • Guest
Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 10:20:12 pm »

O.K.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up