Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The CD Chain begins:  (Read 7271 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« on: November 24, 2003, 02:24:21 am »

Ok everybody, here's the deal. I think the best way to do this is to have everybody send their cd to 3-5 people, each of whom will be a part of a self-contained ring. At this point, each ring will start operating independently of one another, but will have copies of everybody's cds. So when you mail your stack out a week later (or however long it takes), you'll be mailing 3-5 other people's cds (all but one of whom are not in your ring) to the next person in your mini-ring. I think this'll minimize major chain breakage without everybody having to make 16 copies and mailing them to 16 people. Does this make any sense? I've had an awful lot of coffee tonight.

I'll figure out who you'll mail 'em to, so if this is ok for everybody I'll send you your mailing list by the end of the week. Also, let me know if you've got some cash to spare and wouldn't mind letting our non-usa bretheren into this thing.

Here's who's in so far, pm me if you're interested and I can still fit you in:
FeeReep
Andalucia
slink
Gimpson
sjlimmer
pinkstainlesstail
V-adore
pmcd9
CortJStr
starlight
Augustwest
carlosdelvaca
jldunston
Asherdan
jough
Me

Questions/Comments?
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

andalucia

  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1680
    • View Profile
    • http://www.awesomeblurry.com
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 02:27:01 am »

I am not terribly bright.
Logged
goose means greedy

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 02:35:53 am »

Quote from: "Mite"
Also, let me know if you've got some cash to spare and wouldn't mind letting our non-usa bretheren into this thing.


In case you forgot, or never noticed, I be one of those non USA brethren.
I don't know how much it's likely to cost?
If much, there are probably alternative ways of doing it for me. But I'll leave that up to you, since you seem to have a plan.
Well, one possibility actually, is to the cheap way out and just use slipcases and not jewel cases, since they would make it considerably more expensive. Also to remember to write gift on it so as I don't get hauled up for customs/VAT charge.
Anyway, I'm not decisive...
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 03:10:30 am »

Quote from: "andalucia"
I am not terribly bright.

No, I'm too hyped up to explain. Also I have no way of scanning in the great back-of-the-envelope diagram I made. It'll work though. And I'll give everybody their own specific directions, so you won't have to worry about anything else.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 04:27:39 am »

As long as you tell us where to send and when it should be no problem.

But just a quick question: how many times am I going to have to hit the post office for this gig?

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 04:57:46 am »

I must be out of the USA now, and Slink got in! We are both islanders, after all.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 05:01:57 am »

OK, first of all, I have no clue as to how this is supposed to end up working.

And that's just fine.

Here's my question.  Will I end up getting 15 CD's or 3 to 5?

Also, would everybody post something about how the stalking laws work in their jurisdiction?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 05:45:47 am »

I confess I'm a little confused too.

Also, when are we talking as ETA for sending?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 06:18:24 am »

I sort of understand.  Maybe.  But I trust Mite to instruct me in the ways.  I've...I've...never done this with anyone before... :blush:
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2003, 06:30:44 am »

How did I not end up on that list?

Question 2: Can I just post the .mp3s on my website, as a playlist? I don't stream, but I'll host some files for download. Gladly. (attn:RIAA: I own each and every CD from which I will host a single track, in order to gain your clients a larger fan base. Your studies recently have proven that file-sharing widens fan-bases, have they not?

It's not like I'm sharing 1300 files on the KaZaA network or anything.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2003, 11:30:23 am »

Ok, let's see what I can clear up here:
You will get 16 cds. You will have to go to the post office 4 times, and send 4 cds each time. The first time you'll mail 'em to 4 seperate people, and after that you'll just mail the ones you got last time to the next person in your mini-ring. And sorry Choop, I must have missed your name somewhere. But go ahead and post the mp3s if you'd prefer, though if you want to be in this I'll still have to have you mail stuff.

Sorry my scheme is so opaque; I think it was born from my mild obsession with combinatorics. I really think this will work pretty well, especially considering the size of our group. So - start gettin' your CD together, and I'll send you your marching orders over the thanksgiving holiday. I really can't do much until Wednesday.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2003, 03:23:09 pm »

Mmmmph.

I am standing down.  Take me off the list, please.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2003, 04:34:53 pm »

Any way I can make this easier? I don't want folks to drop out just 'cause I'm crazy.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2003, 04:47:11 pm »

It seems that you are intent on everyone being able to hear everyone else's CD.  In exchanges I've participated in previously, that hasn't been the case.  You send out five CDs, you get five back, and it's luck of the draw as to whose you get.  If someone posts a track list that you really like, but you don't get their disc, you are free to beg, plead, send bribes, etc. to get a copy separately.

In my opinion, that's preferable to having to make multiple trips to the post office.  But that is, of course, just my opinion, and others may feel differently.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

sjlimmer

  • Illegal Ghost Bikes
  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 317
  • Insert witty remark here...
    • View Profile
The CD Chain begins:
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2003, 04:48:05 pm »

Quote from: "Mite"
Any way I can make this easier? I don't want folks to drop out just 'cause I'm crazy.


Seems easy enough to me; just follow your directions.  I'm looking forward to lots of new musical goodness.  Don't disappoint me, people.
Logged
"That's because you're a mean drunk, and nobody loves you."
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up