Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: May 4, 2009 - THE BLADE OF ECSTASY WHICH IS THE NACHO CHIP  (Read 9831 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05042009

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the paradoxical invention of nachos in the Achewood universe, but on the other hand, the RSS title is "Romanticized Sketch of the Birth of the Nacho." so perhaps Little Nephew did not, in fact, invent nachos in the past so that he could later go on to invent nachos in the past.
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: May 4, 2009 - THE BLADE OF ECSTASY WHICH IS THE NACHO CHIP
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 11:12:01 am »

I like how much Onstad loves nachos.

I think that maybe I have just never had great nachos. I am always disappointed.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: May 4, 2009 - THE BLADE OF ECSTASY WHICH IS THE NACHO CHIP
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:41:14 am »

The Welshmen are right, albeit for the wrong reason. THeir instinctive distrust makes sense. Anything more than tuppence for a nacho is the sort of madness seen only in Saracens and Papists.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: May 4, 2009 - THE BLADE OF ECSTASY WHICH IS THE NACHO CHIP
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 11:57:01 am »

I like how much Onstad loves nachos.

I think that maybe I have just never had great nachos. I am always disappointed.

Have you ever made your own nachos?  Broil chips beans w/ hot sauce mixed in and cheese.  Take it out after it bubbles and salsa and guac and, if you want, sour cream, or whatever you want, I guess.

Oh My God.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: May 4, 2009 - THE BLADE OF ECSTASY WHICH IS THE NACHO CHIP
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 12:48:47 pm »

I just made the mistake of thinking too hard about this and I'm all confused, because I have never paid too much attention to the Molly's family part of the backstory.

They're dead, right? So somehow, in death, all the Welsh stick together? But I thought they were like 17th century Welsh, would they have had chili peppers? But wait, look at their outfits, are those neckties? Did they wear neckties then? And if they're dead, anyway, do they have chili peppers even if they didn't have chili peppers when they were alive?

Yeah, if I wasn't going to pay attention, this was the wrong time to start thinking about it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: May 4, 2009 - THE BLADE OF ECSTASY WHICH IS THE NACHO CHIP
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 01:04:04 pm »

I just made the mistake of thinking too hard about this and I'm all confused, because I have never paid too much attention to the Molly's family part of the backstory.

They're dead, right? So somehow, in death, all the Welsh stick together? But I thought they were like 17th century Welsh, would they have had chili peppers? But wait, look at their outfits, are those neckties? Did they wear neckties then? And if they're dead, anyway, do they have chili peppers even if they didn't have chili peppers when they were alive?

Yeah, if I wasn't going to pay attention, this was the wrong time to start thinking about it.

Chili peppers were brought back in 1493 with Columbus. Cravats were worn by knights-errant so I'm sure the fashion would be around then. The hats, I'm not so sure.

Then again, Onstad doesn't care too much about historical accuracy. The curse of Gladdington Castle takes place in the late 1200's, yet a carriage driver with huge mutton chops is seen uttering the curse "Egads! May your son ..." The reason for this anachronism is the same reason that we have talking cats with only two breasts: because it's funny, stop overthinking.
Logged

Death Ray

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 151
    • View Profile
    • Deep Fried, webcomics' dirty little secret
Re: May 4, 2009 - THE BLADE OF ECSTASY WHICH IS THE NACHO CHIP
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 05:46:27 pm »

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=05042009

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the paradoxical invention of nachos in the Achewood universe, but on the other hand, the RSS title is "Romanticized Sketch of the Birth of the Nacho." so perhaps Little Nephew did not, in fact, invent nachos in the past so that he could later go on to invent nachos in the past.

Way way wait...they are in the past? I thought they were in heaven somehow. Doesn't Molly come to the cast by way of one of Beef's trips to the afterlife? And Molly's paw did, afterall, kill Li'l Nephew to bring him into the tribe (I seem to recollect a gun, placed stethescope style, and a memorable sound effect, "KOOJ"!). Someone 'splain!
Logged

herofix

  • Guest
Re: May 4, 2009 - THE BLADE OF ECSTASY WHICH IS THE NACHO CHIP
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 08:19:54 pm »

They are in the 'Ye Olde Welsh Catte Heavane', a place where they don't exactly have their fingers on the zeitgeist.

This thread title is all wrong.  It should be 'I boo the Nacho as his father.'
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: May 4, 2009 - THE BLADE OF ECSTASY WHICH IS THE NACHO CHIP
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 08:22:51 pm »

i'm amused by the fact that there is this level of introspection and analysis into a comic strip about talking cats, medieval welshmen and nachos.

it's like a little piece of cioran wiggled its way into your souls
Logged

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: May 4, 2009 - THE BLADE OF ECSTASY WHICH IS THE NACHO CHIP
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 08:23:34 pm »

i'm amused by the fact that there is this level of introspection and analysis into a comic strip about talking cats, medieval welshmen and nachos.

it's like a little piece of cioran wiggled its way into your souls
As a flowchart, I have no soul.
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: May 4, 2009 - THE BLADE OF ECSTASY WHICH IS THE NACHO CHIP
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 08:26:59 pm »

Way way wait...they are in the past? I thought they were in heaven somehow.

No no no... STOP thinking.

Yes, they are in heaven, but they died in the past. So, it makes sense that they talk funny and don't know what nachos are, when they get there. But why didn't they find out about nachos in all the time they've been in heaven since then? No one who died, like, last year, already told them? Does that mean that when people go to heaven they don't get to see the people who are already there? Except Little Nephew is some kind of exception? But if we don't get to see people who died in the past, then do we not get to see our loved ones who died before us? Or is there some kind of deadline or something?

NOOO STOP!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: May 4, 2009 - THE BLADE OF ECSTASY WHICH IS THE NACHO CHIP
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 08:28:24 pm »

It appears to be a matter of choice. Molly kept up with the times and was partying with Blister, after all.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: May 4, 2009 - THE BLADE OF ECSTASY WHICH IS THE NACHO CHIP
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 09:09:16 pm »

THE MOLLY PARADOX

starring Ashton Kutcher.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: May 4, 2009 - THE BLADE OF ECSTASY WHICH IS THE NACHO CHIP
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 10:41:41 pm »

I like how deliciously the cheese is dripping off the nacho as CS offers it to the skeptical Welshman.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: May 4, 2009 - THE BLADE OF ECSTASY WHICH IS THE NACHO CHIP
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 11:46:21 pm »

People, people. Sit down while Professor Toaster schools your fine asses.

So Heaven is basically just Heaven. But the Welshies from 1750 liked Wales in 1750, so they kept it that way. They're in the same Heaven as everybody else, just in a fenced-off area. Similar to how Colonial Williamsburg or Amish Country both exist in modern-day America, but in fenced-off areas. Molly hopped the fence to Regular Heaven where she met Beef. The Sanders Clan let Charley into their gated community because they liked him. Charley did no time traveling. He is in the present, but the ghosts are very set in their ways.

Here endeth the lesson.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up