Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wolverine  (Read 1827 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Wolverine
« on: May 08, 2009, 01:00:06 am »

Because the board is slow, I'm trying to distract myself from studying, and where else am I going to talk about this except on the internet?

I imagine that almost everybody around here who was going to see Wolverine, has seen it. So,

I've always been ambivalent towards Wolverine. I think that he is a good character, but Marvel can't help squishing him into every book and ejaculating him onto every cover. So he shows up in a lot of pretty bad stories. There was a lot of potential for it to go either way, basically.

I saw it Friday, and my reaction was just "What?"

The general consensus seems to be that you were confused if you didn't read the comics, while if you did read them you were confused and angry.

I was forewarned. Although I didn't watch the leaked print, I was warned by my brother, who had seen it. Disregarding that, there were signs: an action figure named 'Deadpool' that looked like goddamn Baraka from Mortal Kombat, some random guy from Black Eyed Peas in the cast, the trailer shot of Wolverine fighting a fuck*ng helicopter...I knew. My brain knew, but my heart kept believing. My childlike fanboy optimism calmed the apprehensions of my higher-order thought processes and my mantra became "How bad can it really be?"

Pretty fuck*ng bad.

The Good
  • The opening credits - i.e. 'Wolvie Through History'
  • Hugh Jackman - If you're into him. There are a few scenes where he is strategically naked, and there were...reactions.
  • Some of the casting: Liev Schreiber, Ryan Reynolds
  • The brother thing - I was actually on board, but it got stupid pretty fast
  • Gambit sucked, and a dark little corner of my heart glowed
  • Deadpool movie

The Bad
  • Everything else
  • Deadpool movie
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 01:14:33 am by lprkn »
Logged

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Wolverine
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 01:44:12 am »

I haven't seen it, but I don't care about spoilers, so I feel okay talking about it.


I want to see that scene from the preview where Deadpool cuts a bullet in half in mid-air.
It seems like they castrated Emma Frost. She doesn't seem half as scary (or sexy) as she should be.
And some people's powers are different.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Wolverine
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 03:15:21 am »

If Deadpool doesn't have the awesome red and black mask then he's not Deadpool. The anti-Spider-man look is a big part of the appeal of the merc with a mouth.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Wolverine
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 05:25:29 am »

Don't really know anything about Emma Frost, but yeah, she was in it for like 30 seconds. Fully clothed (which is almost a welcome change, really).

The mask is definitely awesome, although it is uniquely adapted to its medium; I don't know if a live-action adaptation would justice to its cartoony glory.

I think that the basic problem with this movie is that it never really dwells on or develops anything. Deadpool and the rest of the (Weapon X?) team are a perfect example. You could have got some really nice interplay and male bonding type stuff, and then it would have actually meant something when Wolverine quit. But no:"Here's some guys, they have some powers and stuff, one has swords and is a kind of funny ninja asshole."

They crammed three movies into one, and you never really care about the events or characters.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Wolverine
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 10:46:55 am »

I came home one day to find my roommate passed out drunk on the couch, with one of my Futurama DVDs playing. he had shaved his red beard into horrible red wolverine-style sideburns/chops.

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Wolverine
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 11:33:10 am »

There are a few scenes where he is strategically naked

I don't know if I want the concept of "strategic nakedness" explained to me, but it does sound like a thing.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Wolverine
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 12:39:52 pm »

I don't know if I want the concept of "strategic nakedness" explained to me, but it does sound like a thing.

As opposed to tactical nakedness...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Wolverine
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 05:51:09 pm »

Well, one of the first rules of warfare is that your tactics must always support your strategy...
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Wolverine
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 08:19:19 pm »

... and ejaculating him onto every cover.

QFT

So canned.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Wolverine
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 08:27:04 pm »

Could youall please talk about the movie and not wander off into saying anything funny, so I don't have to read this thread? Thank you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Wolverine
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 06:37:41 am »

I gave up a while ago and resigned myself to reading the fantasy sports threads.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up