Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)  (Read 4588 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 03:31:27 am »

It really reinforced for me that I miss Star Trek as a TV show. Having to save the universe all the time isn't what they should be doing, they should be mediating a border dispute or discovering a weird new planet or something. I think there'd be a lot of potential in doing those tinier stories again.
Hell, half the cast is either no name or TV actors and JJ Abrams does TV, maybe this is the back up plan?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 11:03:24 pm »

They're not gonna be no-names anymore. This movie is going to make a godzillion dollars.

I was supremely indifferent about the whole thing when I walked in but I was ready to sit through it again when the credits rolled. Good flick.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 05:57:29 am »

I thoroughly enjoyed this one, much moreso than the last couple TNG movies. I really liked the Kirk dude, he payed great homage to Shatner's terrible acting without acting terribly. Pike was great too, especially considering that character only existed in the pilot and pre-pilot from the original show back in the 60s. Quinto was good as Spock, I didn't think of him as Sylar at all (okay maybe a little) but good christ Nimoy is old.

I would have been happiest, I think, with an almost-no-conflict story of like... them all being friends at Starfleet Academy and overcoming some really minor obstacle and becoming closer, and at the end they all get assigned to the Enterprise.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz nobody wanted to see starfleet academy 90210 we already had that with the wes crusher bullshit that ruined tng ugh
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 06:02:49 am »

It is good that this thread got rolling before it seemed right for me to start posting up my own song parodies.

It is good for everyone.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 06:24:42 am »

I really liked the Kirk dude, he payed great homage to Shatner's terrible acting without acting terribly.
I thought that, too. This Kirk seems like he just really loves adventure and loves his job. So in the moments he acts like Shatner, it's kinda just like a guy being enthusiastic and not being afraid to show that he is excited. Like in the last scene, when he's all like "Bones, buckle up," and pats Bones on the shoulder, and Bones rolls his eyes, I got the feeling that he was thinking, "Yeah, that was cheesy, especially since we don't actually have seat belts on this ship. But I'm the captain of a fuck*ng starship, my life is awesome!"

I just realized something: someday space travel is going to be a lot more common than it is now, and a lot of cliches from today are going to be perfectly normal things. That'll be awesome.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 07:09:23 am »

Is Simon Pegg in this movie?  How was he? 
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 07:29:53 am »

who else could play scotty? and when is simon pegg ever less than awesome?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 12:49:23 pm »

I really liked the Kirk dude, he payed great homage to Shatner's terrible acting without acting terribly.

Sigh. Now I'm going to have to see this, to see what this could possibly mean. I really didn't want to.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 04:46:29 am »

then my work here is done
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 11:22:35 am »

and when is simon pegg ever less than awesome?

How to Lose Friends and Alienate People?  Run Fatboy Run?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 12:41:57 pm »

Sigh. So. Cinema nearest to my house only has dubbed versions of this. Fuckers. This screws up my plans to show up for the screening baked, since any other option is too far for me to make it still under the effect. And I really see no reason to watch this type of eye-candified adventure stone sober. But then the Lady wanted to see it near her place (subtitled version yay). But of course we cannot ever make to anyplace in time, she's just that good a delayer (if I hadn't half expected that we would be late, I'd be pretty bummed). It's a friggin' long queue, she says go get me popcorn while I buy us tickets (we were already late). I come back with this stupidly big and expensive popcorn bag for her (I don't even like eating while watching movies, God bung it) but then her credit caaAARABLOABLOOBLOOBLOO

You know what, fuck it! Fuck you in your pointy ear Star Trek. Fuck you long and proper.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:48:18 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2009, 01:08:43 am »

Matthew Baldwin suggests that Spock has Asperger's , and the future will be a better place:

Quote
Watching Kirk and Spock—two men with vastly different worldviews—form a friendship based on mutual trust and admiration, I found myself thinking, “That’s the future I want my child to grow up in, one in which he will be judged not by the conventionally of his cognitive process, but by the content of his character.” In spreading its message of diversity, Star Trek once again identifies the final frontier, and plots a course straight through it.

Although my favorite part was actually

Quote
And lazy science-fiction authors can no longer use “black American president” as shorthand for “the distant future.”
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009, 02:02:13 am »

Next up for "way-out crazy future president"... lady of Middle Eastern extraction.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2009, 02:34:39 am »

I'd vote for her.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trekkin' (Star Trek)
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009, 06:04:46 am »

According to my hopelessly inaccurate internal reckoning of time, it is still the mid-90s and 2000AD is the distant future because I am a teenager. And also a British publication I have never read but know about because of Judge Dredd.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up