For what it's worth, I assume the "Hasidic rapper" to whom LFM referred to lo those many pages ago is Matisyahu, who I suppose is technically a rapper but his music sounds more reggae-like to me. At any rate, though Matisyahu does currently subscribe to Hasidism, he was raised in a Reconstruction Jewish family (which, if Wikipedia is to be believed -- about any of this, since it's my source not only for Matisyahu's background but also this information about different forms of Judaism -- is actually considered heretical by Orthodox Jews). His conversion came later in life, sometime after his teenage years (which were spent first following Phish on tour, then later he spent a semester in Israel before wrapping up his high school career at some wilderness retreat in Oregon). Given that Wikipedia knows this, I assume that he has made no effort to deceive fans, potential or otherwise, regarding his past. I can't speak to his popularity among the "Pabst-Blue-Ribbon phony trustfund WilliamsburgBrooklyn hipster bastards" now or in the past, but (to reuse my all-too-common refrain) if Wikipedia is to be believed he continues to perform and record music, presumably in spite of his popularity or lack thereof among the aforementioned.