Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Browser Troubles  (Read 3978 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Browser Troubles
« on: May 19, 2009, 06:07:52 am »

Does having two browsers (in my case, Internet Explorer and Firefox) make your computer go wonky in some way, perhaps slowing down?
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Browser Troubles
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 06:16:34 am »

Maybe using them both at once would?  Is that what you mean?

Firefox is such a good program because it uses a shit ton of resources, but, again, only while running.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Browser Troubles
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 06:28:37 am »

No, not both at once.

Basically, Netflix's "Watch Instantly" service will only work in IE, so that's why I still have IE in the first place. But it's wicked slow. So this morning I had a hypothesis that IE would run faster if I uninstalled Firefox. So I did, and it appears to be working. But... I don't want to go without Firefox; that sucks. And also I don't see a reason why it would work; that seems stupid too. I kinda want to find out that I'm using a logical fallacy somewhere and the problem really isn't the browsers, so I can have my Firefox back.

I really wish I knew more about computers.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Browser Troubles
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 06:31:05 am »

yes. remove every trace of internet explorer. it only causes problems.

meanwhile make sure to restart firefox regularly, and keep your browsing history cleared out.

also, try chrome. it's actually a really great browser that's only missing a couple things (adblock, advanced web dev tools).
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Browser Troubles
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 06:32:01 am »

I like chrome but it does this wonky thing where it won't full screen properly if I attach another monitor to my laptop, so I'm still a firefox man for now.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Browser Troubles
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 06:34:00 am »

Okay, I'm just gonna unistall IE forever. Thanks, guys.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Leon

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Browser Troubles
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 07:32:44 am »

Okay, I'm just gonna unistall IE forever. Thanks, guys.

you cant
Logged
... Boned ?

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Browser Troubles
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 07:52:48 am »

This appears true! Scandalous! Those scalliwags up in Redmond...
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Browser Troubles
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 08:24:45 am »

actually... it *is* completely removable. but more to the point, it's completely subvertible. you can replace every IE icon and shortcut with a renamed and remasked firefox icon, and it's kept my technophobe parents from having to reinstall windows xp every six months. they're up to ten months on an install mainly because i can't keep my mother from installing incredimail but that's a different story for a different place.

used to be you could find IE uninstallers on the net but now it's all so tied down and hardwired through that they use IE controls to display everything from your folder contents to help to your desktop. thanks for turning a shitty operating system with a shitty browser into a shittier operating system *based on* a shittier browser, paul allen. no, thanks a fuck*ng load. you helped me decide on a mac

anyway. just use IE for netflix-on-demand and use firefox without too many extensions and follow my advice upthread and you'll be fine.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Browser Troubles
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 05:52:30 pm »

I have both Chrome and IE on no less than four computers, and have no troubles.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Browser Troubles
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 07:12:14 pm »

firefox has been doing this thing for several months where it won't keep me logged into things. it will save my passwords, but every time I close the window it logs me out of everything (touamb, facebook, gmail, etc.)

What gives?

I have it set to accept cookies, clear my browsing history after 2 days, never clear private data without asking me... but it keeps logging me out of everything.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Browser Troubles
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 08:16:17 pm »

firefox has been doing this thing for several months where it won't keep me logged into things. it will save my passwords, but every time I close the window it logs me out of everything (touamb, facebook, gmail, etc.)

What gives?

I have it set to accept cookies, clear my browsing history after 2 days, never clear private data without asking me... but it keeps logging me out of everything.


Check Tools -> Options -> Privacy

In the Cookies section it says "Keep Until:" Do you have "I close Firefox" selected?
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Browser Troubles
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 09:15:46 pm »

"Keep Until they Expire" is selected.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Browser Troubles
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 11:36:40 pm »

I wonder if the Netflix on Demand would work with the WINE version of IE.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Browser Troubles
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 03:12:08 am »

"Keep Until they Expire" is selected.

Then I have no ideas.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up