Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I graduated from school.  (Read 2603 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: I graduated from school.
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 08:40:53 am »

I am intrigued. What are surgeons called in the UK, if not "doctor"?
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: I graduated from school.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 09:28:17 am »

Once you get a surgical qualification over here, you go back to being 'Mr' or 'Ms' or whatever. I assume it stems from the days when surgeons weren't really qualified at all, but it has a nice ring of "I cut people up all day, I don't need a fancy title to show off my position".

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I graduated from school.
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 04:40:48 pm »

Here in the US, if my Registered Nurse sister-in-law is to be believed, surgeons prefer to be addressed as "Your Lordship", or "Highness".
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: I graduated from school.
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 07:15:55 pm »

If I was a doctor, I would be one of those doctors who corrects people who called me "Mr."

If you do that you will be cursed with people thinking you are an MD wanting you to look at their rash.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up