Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel  (Read 6593 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Travel
« on: May 20, 2009, 08:49:32 pm »

So, I am starting to plan my packing for my trip to Paris. I will be there for a month. Trying to pack as light as possible.

Any big tips? Things you wish you'd brought on trips? I have got the basics (comfortable shoes, 1 set of warm clothes, raincoat, photocopies of my passport which I will store SEPARATE from my passport...)

This may be a short-lived topic, so I would encourage general travel horror stories.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Travel
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 12:33:36 am »

Asherdan hit the most important points. I don't have any horror stories from my trip to Germany, but when I stepped off the train in Kiel, I had no idea where the fuck I was or how the fuck to get to my lodgings (Asherdan's second point). Luckily I ran into a kind and attractive English speaking local who was actually excited to interact with an American who walked with me the short distance to the inn. I bring this up because it illustrates the point I want to make: get laid. I was engaged during that trip and passed on an opportunity or two, including that first night. To throw salt on the wound my ladyfriend and I split up a month after I returned. Of course, bring condoms so you don't bring back any unwanted souvenirs.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Travel
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 01:44:42 am »

I think I have learned all the things I need to learn from reading my roommate's blog of his travels in china.

1. never go to china
2. never go to china alone
3. never go to rural china alone
4. never assume anything in china will work

also, never follow a mysterious guy down a dark alley late at night, alone thousands of miles away from everyone you know.

(he was fine, but got very scared before he realized that the hostel was just... down a dark alley.)

also:
5. no matter how much of a not-sharing-emotions guy you are, you will post sappy things about how much you miss your wonderful roommate DB when you are in china.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 01:57:13 am »

Best advice I've got is: be a Boy Scout.
That's generally pretty good advice.

Quote
Best time I ever had was when I landed at CVG

When were you at CVG?  You shoulda called me.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 05:50:27 am »

don't just learn how to speak the language, learn how to hear it too. that was my trouble in it'ly. i could speak it and the then-new missus could hear it. combined we made a fine, if slow, conversationalist. apart we were stranded. but if you at least try to speak it, you'll get along okay.

and don't just translate words. learn how to measure with the metric system. know how much one and a half meters (1,5 metres) is instinctually. 60 grams. 800 kilometers.

of course, what do i know? you could be fluent already. beats me. beats me why most american tourists suck. sure as hell ain't my scene.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Travel
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 06:01:25 am »

I do not speak any french. oops.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 07:42:22 am »

better get some rosetta stone
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 11:36:30 am »

better get some rosetta stones.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 06:46:36 pm »

Jan/Feb/Mar 2001. So basically, P.A.

[pre-achewood]

Now when I was down at Bluegrass Intl I would have rung you up except it was one of those 'fly in at 11pm do customer meetings all day and fly out at 6pm' things. It was at that Lexmark 'one square mile of building' facility.


CVG is maybe 20 minutes further from me than Bluegrass.

Used to work at Bluegrass Airport, back in the day.  Shipped a lot of freight for Lexmark, as a matter of fact, although they were still IBM at the time.  Keyboard parts to Guadalajara for assembly.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 07:10:23 pm »

Re: Going down a dark alley. 

I was in London at the Astoria.  The Mars Volta was playing.  I didn't have a ticket and the show was sold out.  There were ticket scalpers there, but it was thrice the price and I couldn't afford it.  One of the dudes hanging around selling drugs (there were several) said he knew the guy at the back door and he could get me in for half price.  Riiiiiiiight.  I just laughed in his face and said, that's alright man.  I'm pretty sure I've seen that movie.  Escort me to the back of the club and mug me. 

Moral of the story:  I didn't get to see the Mars Volta.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 08:34:51 pm »

Were I to go to Europe for a month, I'd make sure I had enough backup contact lenses and saline solution to last.  I'm normally a fan of going as light as possible on the Dopp kit and buying toiletries when I get where I'm going but I ain't trust no unfamiliar lens solution on my eyes.

I'd second some rudimentary language lessons, as the one time I was in Paris I got laughed at because I ordered a museum ticket in the wrong gender or something.  My experience was that Americans who at least make a sincere attempt at speaking the language will get a much more compassionate response from the natives than those who just yell English.  This goes triple for cabs and restaurants.

It looks like you can Google Streetview much of Paris.  I'd take some time to click my way through the neighborhoods I'd expect to spend time in, what so I would know landmarks or be able to semi-recognize where I am once I get there.  I have a thing about navigation - I HATE getting lost or misdirected - so maybe this only sounds practical and worthwhile to me.

Finally, call your local bank branch and see if you can get some Euro cash from them.  It'll be a relief to go right to the taxi stand at the airport (or metro station or whatever) without having to find a cambio.  Your bank will probably also get you a better exchange rate.  Speaking of which, you should know what the exchange rate is for USD:EUR and plan your currency swaps and/or ATM withdrawals accordingly.  Our dollars went much further when we took them out of a cash machine in the form of Euro rather than letting our hotel/restaurant/etc. get a cut of the exchange rate.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 06:28:43 am »

YES don't take a bunch of cash or travelers' checks, use your atm card. what you pay in fees is less than what the cambio charges. but: don't use the same atm all the time, and don't make a routine of going. people do pay attention to tourists.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 06:31:03 am »

When is a traveler not a tourist? /seriousquestion
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 06:32:28 am »

when one has relationships with people and places in the destination locus
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Travel
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 03:41:24 am »

It looks like you can Google Streetview much of Paris.  I'd take some time to click my way through the neighborhoods I'd expect to spend time in, what so I would know landmarks or be able to semi-recognize where I am once I get there.  I have a thing about navigation - I HATE getting lost or misdirected - so maybe this only sounds practical and worthwhile to me.

On short trips I agree, but if you have some spare time, getting responsibly lost can be one of the more worthwhile things to do in a strange place.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 04:45:36 am by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up