Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel  (Read 6622 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Travel
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2009, 06:31:56 am »

the guidebook of Paris my brother got me for my birthday has a section called "Best arrondissements of Paris to get lost in."
Useful, but seems... what is that word?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2009, 08:00:04 am »

it's like neighborhood or district

seriously get yourself a french/english phrasebook at LEAST

make an effort. you don't want to be that guy.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 08:10:33 am »

No I think Inev wants a word for 'deliberately, hipsterishly quirky and random in a soul crushingly organised way'

Not that I mind planning on getting lost, just being up front about it kills the illusion a little.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 12:17:13 pm »

Well, if Doc isn't right,  Inev, you really need to do a little research before you go to France. That is not an obscure term.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 02:10:33 pm »

doc is right.  this is obvious.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Travel
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 02:17:14 pm »

No I think Inev wants a word for 'deliberately, hipsterishly quirky and random in a soul crushingly organised way'

Not that I mind planning on getting lost, just being up front about it kills the illusion a little.

You're right. When I said "getting responsibly lost" I didn't mean buy a guidebook. I meant having enough sense of direction and paying enough attention to landmarks so that you can find your way back to your lodgings. Also, know enough about a city so you don't end up where you shouldn't be. Basically, wandering aimlessly is a good way to get to know a place, I think, and writing a guidebook about it totally defeats the purpose. Totally loses the sense of adventure.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: Travel
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 04:32:12 pm »

I saw a short film a few months ago where a woman had a passionate night with a bloke she met in Paris, and in the morning took his dog for a walk to a pâtisserie only to find that she didn't know the way back, so she had to leave. With his dog.

So, you know, get lost, but pay enough attention that you don't potentially lose the love of your life and burden yourself with a dog. It was in a film, it must be a real danger.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 05:03:29 pm »

and burden yourself with a dog. It was in a film, it must be a real danger.

And STEAL someone's dog. Geez, at least leave it with someone at a cafe where the owner might run across. Why are people in movies so stupid?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Travel
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 06:25:30 pm »

yes, the word I meant was "oxymoronic." But I don't know if that fits perfectly.
It just seems silly to say "I want to get lost in this area."

I will definitely go to those areas and wander around semi-aimlessly, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 06:37:07 pm »

Oh, oh! *raises hand* The word is "pretentious".
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Travel
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 07:07:03 pm »

The turn of phrase is that 'Nev wants to "Before Sunrise".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 07:16:17 pm »

Aww, yeah, I bet he's gonna "Before Sunrise", all right. All over her face.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Travel
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 09:07:16 pm »

Made me think of this, for some reason, which I recently read:

A woman walks into a bar and the bartender asks what she’d like to drink.  She says "I’ll have a double entendre."  So, he gives it to her.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Travel
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 10:38:53 pm »

Quote
The turn of phrase is that 'Nev wants to "Before Sunrise".

Yes.

I have been given a piece of advice: "American girls will sleep with you in France, because you are in France. Don't question it, I know it doesn't make sense."

Quote
All over her face.
Je voudrais un soin du visage.

First humorous phrase I found in my french phrasebook. "I would like a facial."
Except it probably actually means something like "I would like a cleaning of the face" based on the cognates.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Travel
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 06:35:45 am »

I was told that a very successful pick-up line in German bars is "Hi, I'm from L.A.*"

*Note: there is sometimes a quiz.  You have to know about 7-11.  I'm not making that up.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up