Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: I thought we used to have an ongoing thread about music but I can't find it  (Read 12352 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

I can't decide whether to be glad or sorry that I started this.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm

On a semi-related note I've been trying to get into Tom Waits lately, I got hooked listening to 'the piano has been drinking' and from there chocolate jesus and innocent when you dream have been looping on youtube for me. Any tips for a good starting point on the fellow? I was thinking I'd try pick up Small Change from somewhere (is there a CD version? I'm fairly sure I saw it on itunes anyway). From what I've heard so far I think I'm more into his bar room bluesy stuff than his more industrial stuff (which I think I'll come around to, just need to ease myself in).

I don't know exactly what you mean by his industrial stuff, but I think Small Change is a good start. If you want to get a bit weirder you could move on to Swordgiraffetrombones, then Rain Dogs and finally Frank's Wild Years (which has Innocent When You Dream--two versions!). Not necessarily in that order I guess, that's just chronological. I like just about everything he's released, but tend to prefer that period, and a few albums from this and the last decade. Whatever you do, don't miss him if he ever plays in your part of the world. I saw him in El Paso last year, and I probably say this after a lot of concerts, but it was the best show I've ever seen. The man can entertain.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

I love Dan Hicks version of The Piano has been Drinking.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile

Waits ACL performance is amazing.

Also, Swordgiraffetrombones.  Yeah.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

I guess by industrial I was thinking of his stuff like Rain Dog, which I like but it's about as non-melodical as I am willing to get at the moment, if that description makes sense? I just need to like him more as an artist before I'm trusting enough to let something like that soak into my brain.

So yeah, I guess Small Change it is. I'll add it to the list of things I'm going to buy after my exam next week. Also on the list: DvDs for Primer and Brick, and the no longer new Scott Pilgrim. There was also a non-comic book but I can't remember just now.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile

Brick is the shit. Can!
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

Are we done here?  I was hoping we could throw some more shit on each other.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

eMusic just announced a new deal with Sony. They can now sell any Sony song that was released 2+ years ago. Maybe I'll finally get me a copy of London Calling.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com

That's potentially exciting.  When's the Sony stuff going to be available?

ANOTHER Okkervil River album?  Them boys is prolific.  And yet I will download it like a chump.  I wonder if it has any songs using sailing the seas as a metaphor for touring.
Correction:  not a new album, but an old one I don't have displayed on the front page as if it's new.  Urp.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:00:42 pm by carlosdelvaca »
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com

Answering my own question:  the Sony stuff comes on-line July 11.

HOWEVER, they're also cutting my monthly downloads from 50 to 30, at the same price.
BOO TO THAT
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

Answering my own question:  the Sony stuff comes on-line July 11.

HOWEVER, they're also cutting my monthly downloads from 50 to 30, at the same price.
BOO TO THAT

For me it looks like they're dropping raising the price of my plan by $98 $74* and cutting my monthly tracks from 65 to 35. It kicks in next August. But I'm about to e-mail customer service because I just happen to have saved an e-mail that says "Your selected plan will be guaranteed as long as you keep your account active and in good standing."

*I didn't notice at first that the price quoted was only for 1 year since I'm currently on a 2-year plan.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 03:07:56 pm by CortJstr »
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

Well they replied with a form letter that made no mention of the guarantee or the fact that they're reneging on it. I know that their plans are still half the cost of iTunes or Amazon but maybe they shouldn't have used then word "guarantee" before.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

So I might be late on the bandwagon for this one but I've been listening to Who Killed Amanda Palmer over and over again these last couple of days and I love the hell out of it. I'd been vaguely aware of the Dresden Dolls but never really examined them, weirdly I found about her through Neil Gaiman's blog. Anyway, yeah, awesome album. I think I'm going to institute a new rule about buying anything that Ben Folds produces.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook

i just downloaded a bunch of songs from a band called 'elvis hitler'.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

TripperDay

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 46
    • View Profile

I've heard of them. Any good?

I don't know if this subject has its own thread or not, but Prince is a better artist than Michael Jackson.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up