Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat is MAD WITH POWER.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Tis the season...for grilling  (Read 12512 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 03:51:23 pm »

I don't/can't grill but I went to an awesome pig roast yesterday. I have never actually seen an entire pig on a spit before.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 08:47:50 pm »

I don't/can't grill but I went to an awesome pig roast yesterday. I have never actually seen an entire pig on a spit before.

I had a smoked peccary shank today, braised in a wine reduction. Very good. I need to eat more peccary.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009, 09:12:26 pm »

bob i thought it was a health/politix thing that made you not eat chicken, but apparently it's just that you don't know how to cook it

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 09:22:16 pm »

bob i thought it was a health/politix thing that made you not eat chicken, but apparently it's just that you don't know how to cook it




i dont like the taste or texture
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2009, 11:13:31 pm »

Where the heck did you buy peccary?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2009, 01:06:59 am »

I made hot dogs tonight.  Hot dogs with roasted garlic-red pepper relish and manchego cheese. 
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2009, 02:46:20 am »

Where the heck did you buy peccary?

american indian museum cafe - it's a great place to eat uncommon meats
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2009, 05:14:08 pm »

Where the heck did you buy peccary?
I was thinking a midnight raid at the zoo.  Keepers probably get too attached to their charges to eat them, and probably ones dying of old age/disease aren't the tastiest specimens - but I've wondered if there was some sort of market for deceased residents.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2009, 05:30:01 pm »

I was thinking a midnight raid at the zoo.  Keepers probably get too attached to their charges to eat them, and probably ones dying of old age/disease aren't the tastiest specimens - but I've wondered if there was some sort of market for deceased residents.

Substitute "peccary" for "mother".
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

TripperDay

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 46
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2009, 10:10:28 pm »

Weird. I thought I'd decided not to start this topic. Glad to see all the responses though.

Re: Poultry sucks

Don't extend that rule to wild birds, Bobby.  The ducks I get from my dad are extremely lean, but still have a lot of flavor because of their diet. I'd probably use lardons if I wanted to smoke or roast one. He usually just cuts off the breast meat (much easier than plucking) so that's not an option.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2009, 09:58:04 pm »

i made bacon cheeseburgers for lunch today.  i chopping up 7 or 8 slices of raw bacon, mixed it with 1 Lb of ground sirloin, and formed 2 1/2 Lb patties.  threw them on the grill, etc.  When all was said and done, i bit into one.  i tell you, i almost cried tears of delight!  all the bacon fat made it heavenly.

it was a Lb of meat, plus rolls, so im still too full to eat dinner.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2009, 12:21:51 pm »

i made bacon cheeseburgers for lunch today.  i chopping up 7 or 8 slices of raw bacon, mixed it with 1 Lb of ground sirloin, and formed 2 1/2 Lb patties.  threw them on the grill, etc.  When all was said and done, i bit into one.  i tell you, i almost cried tears of delight!  all the bacon fat made it heavenly.

it was a Lb of meat, plus rolls, so im still too full to eat dinner.

I failed with that because beef fat and bacon fat have vastly different melting points. How did you avoid salmonella burger or well-done hockey puck with bits of bacon inside?
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2009, 08:16:58 am »

I failed with that because beef fat and bacon fat have vastly different melting points. How did you avoid salmonella burger or well-done hockey puck with bits of bacon inside?

i chopped the bacon up as fine as i possibly could.  like, almost to a paste.  using a food processor.  and since i dont get creative with the flesh of beasts very often, it very well could have been a fluke.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2009, 06:33:46 pm »

Surprisingly good grilled:

- Rice Krispy Treats (sear quickly on high heat to avoid overmelting; let re-firm before serving)
- Apple Pie (add fried ice cream on top for ultimate a la mode decadenc)
- Foie Gras (you will lose about half between the slats)
- Lemons (?!)
- Watermelons (soak afterward in tasty liquor of choice; port works well)
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 'Tis the season...for grilling
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2009, 07:41:09 pm »

I missed the foie gras and lemons portion of the evening. Lemons would probably be especially good with that miracle fruit.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up