Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I haven't had a haircut since July. I'm hoping to, "wait it out."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis  (Read 4772 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
« on: June 23, 2009, 11:50:54 pm »

71 friend requests, 3 dead, and 1 update from Myrtle talking (coincidentally?) about trees.

I suppose at some point society should come up with a way to inform your online friends that you're worm food.  Facebook does seem well positioned at this point.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 12:41:55 am »

It is hard to know what should be done with your Facebook profile after you've passed away.

In some ways, it's a great thing to remember someone by. In others, it's just weird.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 12:52:16 am »

When I saw it was a strip about facebook and death I assumed it was going to be Roast Beef, so I was pleasantly surprised.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 12:53:30 am »

I also do not like people who quote Ayn Rand every day at every possible moment and this is from a guy who owns everything she ever wrote.
Shirt Garters
Attach your shirt-tails to your socks. Do not hesitate in ordering this item.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Cap'n Squeakers

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 36
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 146
  • I MET THE GUY WHO INVENTED SALAMI
    • View Profile
Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 01:31:35 am »

An Achewood strip that defines "phoned in," resting as it does in a Facebook-themed jape that would not look out of place on any of 300 other web comics.  Clearly, Onstad has not sacrificed quantity for quality.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 02:17:36 am »

An Achewood strip that defines "phoned in," resting as it does in a Facebook-themed jape that would not look out of place on any of 300 other web comics.  Clearly, Onstad has not sacrificed quantity for quality.

Nuh-uh!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 02:26:20 am »

I suppose at some point society should come up with a way to inform your online friends that you're worm food. 


There is a company that offers this service. I don't remember what it's called but they were on NPR.

T's description of Facebook is horrifying. If I hadn't already been bullied into joining, that would have scared me off forever. And Mr Bear is very correct about life.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 02:50:02 am »

Back around '98 I knew a few people who had installed a Dead Man's Switch on their computers. If left untended for more like 2 or 3 weeks it sent out an automated e-mail and posted to your favorite message boards.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 02:55:04 am »

There's always the possibility of using timestamps on news posts for this purpose.  Just schedule your "If you're reading this, I'm probably dead" post for some point a week or so in the future, and keep pushing that date back every morning.

In my case, this wouldn't work because no one reads my site anyway (because I stopped updating it).  Maybe they thought it had already happened.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 03:44:50 am »

I can't remember if I've said this before: When I die, I want to leave my friends a grand adventure with clues and puzzles and a road trip and life lessons. Like remember when Roast Beef planned to leave an envelope with his insurance information? It would be like that, except grandiose. Like The fuck*ng Westing Game or some shit.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 06:03:59 am »

Like The fuck*ng Westing Game or some shit.

Hell yes The Westing Game. All Sandy McSouthers and that shit. Berthe Erica Crow. The Something-Christos Parrot. Sydelle Pulaski.

Yeah.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 06:16:52 am »

I can't remember if I've said this before: When I die, I want to leave my friends a grand adventure with clues and puzzles and a road trip and life lessons. Like remember when Roast Beef planned to leave an envelope with his insurance information? It would be like that, except grandiose. Like The fuck*ng Westing Game or some shit.
There was a movie about this where some ugly chick's irish husband died and left her a series of clues to go on some elaborate pointless adventure. I dont remember the name.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 07:02:03 am »

There was a movie about this where some ugly chick's irish husband died and left her a series of clues to go on some elaborate pointless adventure. I dont remember the name.

It was "P.S. I Love You", and it was Hillary Swank and she's hot, and he taught her to follow her dreams. So yeah.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 08:59:36 am »

toaster i sure hope you're wrong because if'n you ain't a-cap just earned himself a beatdown from the million dollar baby herSELF
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 01:46:45 pm »

I thought Facebook already had a policy about dead users.  They turn your page into a "memorial" for a year or so.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up