Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The King has left the building  (Read 2839 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
The King has left the building
« on: June 25, 2009, 11:08:58 pm »

Michael Jackson suffered a fatal heart attack today. I have a question unrelated to the news, though. Is 'dies' in the title of this article in scare quotes or is it a direct quotation or is it some other kind of usage?

Edit: Oh sure they remove the quotation marks after I post it, but I have a screen shot. Must have just been a mistake?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:13:48 pm by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The King has left the building
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 11:13:21 pm »

The quotes could have been because at first only TMZ was reporting it. CNN &c were still saying he was in a coma. They probably removed the quotes once legit news sources were confirming the death.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The King has left the building
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:15:36 pm »

That seems reasonable.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The King has left the building
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:07:37 am »

Ok, I did not see this coming.  Somehow I thought he would be around a long time.  You'd think all that dancing would have given him a stronger ticker.

Still - I can't weep for an unrepentant pedophile.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The King has left the building
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 01:40:45 am »

I thought he was the Prince of Pop? Did he get an upgrade? I loved the shit out of Michael Jackson when I was 8 (and I guess he would have loved... no, too easy). I guess the question is whether you can appreciate an artist's work independent of their own morality? Yes (I can).

That said beyond the general 'it's not good when anyone dies' sort of thing it's not like he'd released anything recently so I have  a hard time getting torn up over it.
What do you think the most popular newspaper cartoon gag will be? I imagine something that conflates plastic surgery and embalming.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: The King has left the building
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 01:52:34 am »

I thought he was the Prince of Pop? Did he get an upgrade?

I had thought he proclaimed himself to be the King of Pop, but anyway I suppose death grants you that kind of upgrade.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The King has left the building
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 02:07:14 am »

I had thought he proclaimed himself to be the King of Pop, but anyway I suppose death grants you that kind of upgrade.

I recall that somebody very famous gave him that name. I want to say Elizabeth Taylor.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: The King has left the building
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 07:17:42 pm »

15:16 <@isosceles> i have an idea
15:16 <@isosceles> someone needs to take video footage of the basij beating up
                   iranian protestors
15:16 <@isosceles> and set it to "Beat it"
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: The King has left the building
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 10:10:15 pm »

being the king of pop is like being the queen of england(nowadays).  you dont really do much when youre alive, but when you die, everyone kisses your ass.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: The King has left the building
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 04:18:10 am »

This really should be a publicity stunt where he comes back as a zombie for a really amazing thriller tour.
Logged

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: The King has left the building
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 01:13:02 pm »

being the king of pop is like being the queen of england(nowadays).  you dont really do much when youre alive, but when you die, everyone kisses your ass.

Thank you for giving me the wonderful image of Queen Elizabeth grabbing her crotch, screaming, and moonwalking in the palace garden while terrified corgis look on.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: The King has left the building
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 01:14:05 pm »

Thank you for giving me the wonderful image of Queen Elizabeth grabbing her crotch, screaming, and moonwalking in the palace garden while terrified corgis look on perform choreographed back up dancing.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: The King has left the building
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 03:44:39 pm »

This really should be a publicity stunt where he comes back as a zombie for a really amazing thriller tour.

Enjoy your can, sir.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: The King has left the building
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 08:34:07 pm »

Thank you for giving me the wonderful image of Queen Elizabeth grabbing her crotch, screaming, and moonwalking in the palace garden while terrified corgis look on.
It is rather wonderful, isn't it.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up