Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am in a bed with an Asleepness Hat on.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"  (Read 6961 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 09:19:58 am »

I was actually going to say the same thing as Keith, but I didn't because I was afraid the discussion would tilt somewhere unwieldy.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2009, 12:22:39 pm »

I was talking about this to a friend the other day, the basic premise is that we can no longer have elvi because people get their information from highly unique sources.  Except for it wasn't about elvi at all.

This seems wrong to me. Didn't everyone know Michael Jackson had died in like five minutes? Whether they heard it on Twitter or the radio or whatever. There may be more information sources now than when there were only three tv channels. But a lot of the time, they're all saying the same thing.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2009, 06:09:52 pm »

This seems wrong to me. Didn't everyone know Michael Jackson had died in like five minutes? Whether they heard it on Twitter or the radio or whatever. There may be more information sources now than when there were only three tv channels. But a lot of the time, they're all saying the same thing.

Well I guess, yeah, we all heard about it.  But that's not the same as being impacted by it.

I think the point is about fragmentation of culture.  In the days of the Elvi, records were churned out by hit-machine record labels and everybody tuned in to Ed Sullivan or whatever.  Now everybody's found their niche and rarely checks out another niche.  The likelihood that we've all heard the same song has gone down.  Michael Jackson was arguably the last Elvis we'll have.  Can you imagine anyone achieving the ubiquity needed to sell 25 million records (or downloads or whatever) now?
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2009, 06:14:36 pm »

Didn't like 25 million people watch the video of that homely small-town woman in England who won the singing contest? Seems to me there is just as much ubiquity these days as there ever was. The difference is that she didn't make any money off it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2009, 06:55:55 pm »

I don't think viewership is 1:1 with album sales though. 

I've never heard that woman sing.  But I remember Billy Jean being unavoidable.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2009, 08:06:32 pm »

I would say somewhere around 98% of Americans above 25-30 have heard Jackson, that isn't true of the other woman and doesn't really help your case.  First, she isn't very good, so, in this new era, people are used to shit.  Second, there is like a redemption story built right in.  Third, the same amount of people watched on of her 5 minute clips on you tube as spent 15- 20 dollars on Thriller?  That isn't really that good.  Fourth, the old methods of propping her up were used, and I only saw headlines on cnn.com.  In the old days, anywhere I got my news from probably would have been promoting her and I would have been at least heavily exposed to it.  Now, I don't have to give a shit at all, barely even have to avoid it.  Now, if someone like Michael Jackson comes around again, I will just think it is New Kids on the Block X however many shit pop bands have been around.  I won't give it the chance because I already have 100 days worth of music in iTunes instead of maybe 100 records.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2009, 08:10:24 pm »

I feel like my generation knows about Michael Jackson because we were periodically inundated with news about him fondling little boys and giving them "Jesus Juice". The fact that he at one time made music some people once liked was kind of an after-thought.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Ruta Bagas

  • Dr. Andretti
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 108
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 426
  • Is that a shiny ring?
    • View Profile
    • The World Is Lovely
Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2009, 08:25:45 pm »

Didn't like 25 million people watch the video of that homely small-town woman in England who won the singing contest? Seems to me there is just as much ubiquity these days as there ever was. The difference is that she didn't make any money off it.

Scotland.

It doesn't really bother me but the Scottish wouldn't be too pleased.

(She didn't win, either.)

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2009, 08:29:32 pm »

You know how Americans are, you foreigners are all the same to us.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2009, 11:50:41 pm »

So take a look at this.

Once you toss the double albums, which get double counted, the only album to sell more than 20 million copies in the US released after "Thriller" was a Shania Twain album in 1997.

And while Beat It, Billy Jean, and all the rest of Thriller's songs were unavoidable in the US from 1982-...88(?), I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one here for whom the apparent tidal wave of Shania Twain was almost completely unnoticeable.  I think maybe I heard a bit of one song that ripped off a Queen song.  That's it.  I didn't need to listen.

Same goes for worldwide sales.  Since Thriller, who has come close?  No one.

And if you point out that this is because nobody even buys albums anymore, I'd say that just adds to the fragmentation.  With things like iTunes, fans of the same artist can't even get on the same page about an album.  Everybody can just buy the singles they like.

That's why we'll never have another Elvis after Michael Jackson.

Dammit, Onstad, why you cause me to think so hard about this.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2009, 01:28:46 am »

This strip demonstrates an element of Achewood that sets it neck and pecs above the pack: Onstad does not regard death as a joke. Funny, yes, but not a joke. Where else do you find that in American culture?

my chemical romance lyrics
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up