Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: End of semester celebrations...  (Read 12753 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« on: November 25, 2003, 02:44:30 am »

I just finished my big fat killer research paper...anybody else wrapping up the semester?  I still have a final, but after this paper that will be a breeze...who else is doing a little dance in front of the computer right now?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 03:02:38 am »

Most of my visitors/customers are students, so I'll be sorry to see the semester end.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 03:09:17 am »

Thank you for reminding me it is near the end of a semester, because now I can celebrate the fact that for the first time in years and years and years, it is meaningless to me that it is the end of a semester.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 03:17:30 am »

We're not quite to the end of the semester, but we're getting really close. Today was probably my last test in Blow-Off Guaranteed-A ElectiveHistory of Science.

The idea of not living a life where "end of semester" matters frightens and confuses me. I suspect this means I may have to go into teaching.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 04:28:00 am »

I'd say that makes you a natural-born academic, V-adore!
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 04:56:59 am »

What is this semester of which you speak?

It's coming back to me...  Semester.  Yes.  Now I recall.

But I am confused.  Semesters end with the Christmas holiday.  It is before Thanksgiving.  How can your semester be over so early?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Mite

  • Motel 6 Kind of Girl
  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 6
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 584
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 05:54:29 am »

Three more weeks with the little brats. Then I will be doing all kinds of dancin' - until it will be time to come back.
Logged
I'm no longer a Bankhead teacher, but I'll still take your cookies.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2003, 06:15:46 am »

Quote from: "AugustWest"
What is this semester of which you speak?

It's coming back to me...  Semester.  Yes.  Now I recall.

But I am confused.  Semesters end with the Christmas holiday.  It is before Thanksgiving.  How can your semester be over so early?


My research paper is done.  I have one more class and a final, but that will be a cakewalk compared to what I've done so far this semester.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 11:48:10 am »

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I'd say that makes you a natural-born academic, V-adore!


Someone said this about me once, and at the time I felt it was a compliment.  I didn't know enough academics at the time.

RESIST, V-ADORE.  THERE IS LIFE WITHOUT SEMESTERS!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 01:28:52 pm »

JOIN US, V-ADORE...SEMESTERS AND CREDIT-HOURS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...TAKE REFUGE IN OUR BUREAUCRACY...ACCUMULATE HIDEOUS AMOUNTS OF DEBT...OUR INTEREST RATES ARE QUITE REASONABLE...ACADEMIA IS A SOFT, NURTURING PLACE TO BE...WITH PEOPLE LIKE YOU...WHO SPELL WORDS CORRECTLY...AND ARE FAMILIAR WITH PROPER LANGUAGE USAGE...

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RESIST...RESISTANCE IS
...*...huh?  What?  Oh, my, I must have been in some sort of trance.  What did I just type?  

Anyway, V, take it from a compulsive grad-student -- get out while you can.

What do you mean, mixed messages?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 01:30:40 pm »

Soon, you will get to work.  And then there is no semester break.  It just goes on and on and on.  Until you die.   :cry:
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2003, 01:39:00 pm »

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Soon, you will get to work.  And then there is no semester break.  It just goes on and on and on.  Until you die.   :cry:


Or, you could be insane like someone I know, and try to work full time and go to school, and make yourself physically ill from the stress!  Then you get the promise of relief from a semester break, but that promise goes unfulfilled for years, until you get fed up and quit your job, because being poor starts to not look so bad in comparison!

But, I don't reccomend it.  You know.  'Cause of the insanity.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2003, 05:10:07 pm »

I prefer happiness to stress and a regular schedule, although poverty and happiness rarely go hand in hand.

I miss the uselessness of academia, where you could pretty much do whatever you wanted without consequence because nothing really mattered.

But that's the problem, too.  There is no consequence. Everything you do is trivial.   So you don't really have freedom because you have no responsibility.

The real problem with getting sucked into academia (either as a teacher or student) is that there's little dire risk involved.  You teach well, you do well on a test, so what?

In the real world, you don't pay attention you can get flattened by a piano.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2003, 06:48:04 pm »

Stupid pianos.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2003, 07:11:32 pm »

Well, if you don't teach well, you get fired. You don't do well on the test you might get chucked out. You abuse a student, you get hauled into court.
Nothing's as bad as those damn pianos though.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up