Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: End of semester celebrations...  (Read 12749 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2003, 07:29:12 pm »

Quote from: "Dr. Nancy Mitchell"
I'm sitting here, the day after Thanksgiving, correcting papers.  My mother is here.  I tell her, as I pick up yours, "This one's going to be good."  I read it aloud to her.  As I finish, she says, "Give that girl an A!"  

I agree.  It is a splendid paper: extremely well written, well researched, fun and interesting.  

All I would have wanted would have been some discussion of Shaw's and Saunders' sources, since you rely on them so much.  It seems important to discuss their reliability in the text.  Also -- if possible, I would have liked more discussion of how the film was recived in the US.  But I quibble.  It is excellent work.  

A


The paper in question is here, for those geeky enough to be interested.  

Wooo!  I win!  I win at life!
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2003, 08:13:24 pm »

Let me be the first to congratulate you on  your stellar achievment.

A splendid piece of work.  I think i'll read it again.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2003, 08:50:57 pm »

I like the look of this.
Two of my favourite things - politics and literature!
I'ma print it out shortly and read it.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2003, 08:51:35 pm »

However, I should point out that this topic now has nothing to do with end of semester celebrations and should be split into it's own thread.  Might I suggest 'JL writes a grade A paper.'

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2003, 08:53:17 pm »

No, it's very much an end of semester celebration.  This is the grade for the big fat killer research paper I was dancing over in the first post of this thread.  We've come full circle -- for a change.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2003, 09:04:14 pm »

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Honestly, I figure I'll go for the Ph.D., but that's because I'm going into biology and apparently getting work is heinous without the full doctorate in a specialty.


My older brother was a bio major.  When he got out, he worked in a bio-supply shop filling equipment orders for Ph.D.s.  It was the best job he could find, and there are a lot of biology companies around here.  Heinous a-ness.  Happy Ending: He's in grad school now for landscape architecture and loves it.

Edit: Some filter-fiend doesn't like certain words that sound like a-ness.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2003, 11:36:47 pm »

Really?  Is anus filtered?

Anyway, congratulations JLD for your A.  You've earned it, kiddo.

V-Adore

  • Guest
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2003, 11:48:31 pm »

Congratulations, JL! A very nice paper.

Anyway, we finally are reaching the end of the semester; I've got two more finals (both tests, no papers) to go, and I'm cruising. First act of my freedom will be to do absolutely nothing on Saturday -- well, possibly play lots of Angband and post a great deal here, but that's it.
Logged

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2003, 01:05:24 am »

Good criminy, I'm not about to read your paper....but congrats on the grade. Grades are interesting, so meaningful in the short term. Like a picture of a flower; they last forever and always look nice, but so not real as time goes by.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2003, 01:12:44 am »

Grades may fade, but comments on a paper like the ones JL quoted can damage a person for life - that's the kind of thing that makes someone think it would be a pleasant experience to go to graduate school...
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AlohaDawg

  • Moderator
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2003, 01:35:34 am »

I thought grad school was fun, but I did it the fun way:

1) the government paid for it
2) I did it while working my regular full time job
3) I got to fly to my classes, which lasted two weeks at a time on-site and the rest online

Everyone should do it this way. It makes it seem like it really has some connection to what you do in real life.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2003, 02:09:02 am »

Quote from: "wombat"
Grades may fade, but comments on a paper like the ones JL quoted can damage a person for life - that's the kind of thing that makes someone think it would be a pleasant experience to go to graduate school...


Yes, I was exceptionally fortunate this time.  Graduate school is a hellish place where the students are verbally and physically flogged daily, and demoralization and apathy reign.  Don't give in to the siren's call of the master's degree.  You will emerge bitterly scarred.  You will learn, through hard experience, the meaning of the phrase "pyrrhic victory."
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
End of semester celebrations...
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2003, 02:14:30 pm »

Great paper.
And, even better, I didn't know about it either, but am always interested in politics.
You managed the holy trinity for papers - prose, fact and humour!
Well OK, it's my holy trinity for papers... And I either do well or hideously badly when it comes to grading.
We'll see how my next essay on Crime in the UK goes!

But anyway, good stuff...

*off to go track down Animal Farm*
Interestingly it also answered the question of why I didn't like it much when I saw it when I was about 8. I had real problems with some of it, and now I know it's because of it's propogandist messages.
Even at 8 I woudl have preferred the socialist message of it to come through.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up