Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I get so lonely up here. You never write, you never call.

sigh

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Palin Resigns  (Read 7617 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Palin Resigns
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 06:26:38 pm »

Great Caesar's Ghost, is that an actual quote from this person? It's like the turtle in Blade Runner, except this time I don't want to help it.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Palin Resigns
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009, 12:58:02 am »

Yeah. I'm sick and ornery but... damn. Was there some craze for keeping children in plastic bags in the mid 70s america?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Palin Resigns
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2009, 01:02:22 am »

Yeah. I'm sick and ornery but... damn. Was there some craze for keeping children in plastic bags in the mid 70s america?

Just Roast Beef in a Wonderbread bag, as far as I know.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Palin Resigns
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 03:00:58 am »

Roast beef on white bread is a pretty delicious lunch.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Palin Resigns
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2009, 03:21:43 am »

Roast beef on white bread is a pretty delicious lunch.

Open faced roast beef sandwich on white with a lump of mashed potatoes and brown gravy.

Diner lunch.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Palin Resigns
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 03:39:02 am »

I've never understood the concept of an open faced sandwich, nor come across it in real life. Is it not merely a roast dinner with a piece of bread underneath it?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Palin Resigns
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 03:51:35 am »

no, it's a sandwich with only one slice of bread. you eat it with a knife and fork. usually there's gravy involved, so you wouldn't pick it up. certain sandwiches can't be done like this (reuben, cuban, dammit rule of 3 there's got to be another that rhymes) because they require two pieces of bread.

roast beef/cheddar/hossradish? check. turkey/provolone? you bet. brat/sauerkraut? damn straight.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Palin Resigns
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2009, 03:54:13 am »

My only reference for open-faced sandwiches is the character of "Open Face" on that old Nickelodeon kids' show, The Adventures of Pete & Pete. He was a bully whose defining characteristic was his fondness for open-faced sandwiches.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Palin Resigns
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 04:02:22 am »

I ate a Cuban sandwich today. it was delicious.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Palin Resigns
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 12:56:56 pm »

I think that 'a sandwich with one piece of bread and gravy' and 'a roast dinner with bread underneath it' are pretty much the same thing. I think once gravy is involved, it's only a sandwich in the sense that if you add the one piece of bread and call it a sandwich you can make an excuse for eating it for lunch.

Also I think that there is no reason you couldn't make an open-faced reuben sandwich. You can make an open-face melted cheese sandwich, so why not an open faced melted cheese and etc sandwich. Not that I think you would you want to or anything, but theoretically.

(Also thank god for topic wandering.)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Palin Resigns
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 01:12:18 pm »

Open face sandwiches were a dining hall staple when I was at summer camp. We occasionally had them in the high school cafeteria, also.

The best part about open face sandwiches is they usually come with gravy fries. Mmm, gravy fries.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Palin Resigns
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 02:33:07 pm »

Out here, nobody asks "Ya want gravy on that?" very much if at all. That's why I like traveling, my first experience with Canada, other than a border guard who carefully led us to the right answer that all the wine we had was for "personal consumption" (nice lady), was in a regular old restaurant in Lethbridge where not only did they ask if I wanted gravy on everything but they just brought me a boat to the table. I like places that don't donny-fart around on the gravy front.

Gravy fries are pretty rare around here. I always had to ask in the cafeterias I went to. But in PA they were often a menu item. I guess in some ways I never fully acclimated to the DC cuisine. For example, I've never eaten a half smoke.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Palin Resigns
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 04:52:41 pm »

A quick google shows that, apparently, I have under different terminology.

Whatta ya got against the tube meats portion of the food pyramid?

Side note, last time flying through Chicago I went for the 'official' chi-dog experience. If the peppers and onions were done right and not a soggy ass mess it might have been OK, just eliminate those thin green peppers that burn all the way through you.

WTF Chicago? Food should not hurt for the entirety of the digestive process.

I like hot italian sausage and brats, I've just never actually eaten a real* half smoke. Chicago dogs I'm not down with. I grew up with hot dog sauce and can't really eat a dog without it.


*ie food cart
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Palin Resigns
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 05:18:01 pm »

Hot dog sauce?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Palin Resigns
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 05:24:25 pm »

Hot dog sauce?

Every place has it's own style and recipe but Nick's is probably the most well known: http://nicksconeysauce.com/nicks_sauce/unique_characteristics.htm
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up