Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck  (Read 6992 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009, 11:40:44 pm »

But LFM, there are these places called 'bars,' where you can go OUT to drink.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2009, 02:07:01 am »

I remember when it was an essential part of the human experience to lose touch with all but your closest friends from every phase of your life.
So...a brief time in the western world after the invention of the automobile, but before the invention of facebook?
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2009, 02:09:32 am »

Based on my understanding of human history this was like 20 or 30 years out of the last million.
Oh, I see that someone covered this already.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2009, 02:14:47 am »

For what it's worth, those are the 20-30 years our whole culture is based on.

Also, where did alcohol come from?  Like talking about it in this thread, I mean.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2009, 02:31:02 am »

It was said that I should deal with this feelings with vodka, Keith.

In bars. But (a) I hate bars and (b) there are no bars within walking distance/I do not drink and drive.

But yeah. Well said, K.

If those twenty to thirty years are the basis of our culture as it stood, it should also be noted that I am less than thirty and more than twenty.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2009, 12:59:23 pm »

Alcohol reacts horribly with his seizure medication so we do not keep alcohol in the house so that he will not be tempted.

Let's solve this motherfucker. Say, you have a treehouse?
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2009, 03:01:24 pm »

Or a bicycle?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2009, 06:57:56 pm »

get off ash's lawn
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2009, 01:22:11 am »

Who?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2009, 01:49:24 am »

Yeah, I guess I would say this started in the 1930's in my opinion, just went with the whole 20-30 year thing cause it was there.  

Great Depression, WWII, GI Bill, and comfortable children of GI Bill people, mixed with cheap cars and interstates.  The Beats man, the beats.  

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2009, 09:51:10 am »

there was some sort of reasoning I went through to arrive at my blurted-out number of 30 years, but I do not recall what it was.

maybe just because the first "leave everything behind" generation in my family was my parents.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2009, 01:06:35 pm »

get off ash's lawn

We need to go farther than this, we are missing all kinds of other useful techniques.

Quote
Webcomics guest star Wil Wheaton and I discussed the most effective techniques of being a grumpy old guy telling kids to stay the hell of our respective lawns — he favors the cane to gesture with, I’m going with chucking the pears that fall of my pear tree at the little whippersnappers. We agree that releasing the hounds is something you have to hold in reserve, but I’ve just thought of another issue … when do we get the garden hose?
-That guy Gary from Fleen
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2009, 02:29:00 pm »

Yesterday will always have a hazy warm glow.  Nostalgia is the quiet mourning of impermanence. 

Facebook didn't sneak up and destroy the internet yesterday.  Facebook also isn't why interactions are down on this message board.

Assetbar has a lot to do with that.   Why go look for a community, when it is right there wrapped around the thing you want to talk about?  (By this reckoning, hot dog carts are FUCKED when the hotdog factory opens a restaurant in the factory.  Then again, maybe not - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhwXPsTaRgc)

I think another part of it may be that you guys are kind of a tough community to crack.  The seven* of you come off as very closed off to outsiders and every post needs to be 99th percentile.  This is, of course, unless you're one of the seven ordained, and can post at will. 


(I've decided that there are only seven regulars here.  I know the number is more like 14, but seven has a better fairy tale quality.)
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2009, 03:47:19 pm »

Smick surely has a point about why there are not as many noobs as there used to be, but we just need to make more of an effort to promote our niche. TOUAMB: The Online Community For People Too Cheap to Pay for Assetbar.

But there are still many incidents of The Seven Regulars having conversations on Facebook that could just as well happen here so I'm not letting anyone off the hook for that.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Why TOUAMB is awesome instead of Teh Suck
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2009, 04:17:16 pm »

Am I still one of the 7?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up