Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Most"  (Read 4577 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
"Most"
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:40:15 am »

So, this is maybe a stupid question, but I am trying to write this paper about the word "most," and, HOW THE HELL DO I WRITE A WHOLE PAPER ABOUT THIS WORD.

I am supposed to specifically focus on one usage of the word, so I am going to use it in the sense of "most of the people" or "most of the time."

My question is this, because I feel like my intuition might be off.

Do you feel like "most" means a simple majority? or does it mean a wider margin than that? I mean, is getting 50.5% of the vote getting "most of the vote?"
I feel like sometimes it varies. It seems like with bigger numbers it means more than a simple majority. I don't need some sort of "this is what it "really" means" answer, i just want your intuition... how do you think you use it in everyday life.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: "Most"
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 05:06:17 am »

Write the paper about "moist" and claim that you received a typo and I shall owe you a beer.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: "Most"
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 05:07:57 am »

Just go off on a tangent about five sentences in and use up a good 80 percent or so of the paper discussing the Bob Dylan album Oh Mercy.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: "Most"
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 05:19:38 am »

see, if i could talk about social stuff or anything, I could do this so well.

but it is supposed to be about like, what it means logically. Like, "under what conditions is the sentence "most people ____" true."

Also, the assignment is just to write about a quantifier, it doesn't have to be Most. I just thought most would be a good one.

Coincidentally today, after i picked that topic in desperation, we learned that Most is the one exception to this weird law in semantics.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: "Most"
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 05:40:20 am »

logics is a branch of philosophy innit

if you can't bullshit your way through a philosophy paper then my name is hefram t. sackle#####

and it ain't
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: "Most"
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 08:58:52 am »

I am horrible at philosophy. slightly better at logic.

I think the philosophy at my school must be different than at other people's. or something.
they always tell me that my arguments aren't clear or organized. which is true.
except once when I had a stroke of genius and made an awesome metaphor... that time I did really well. that saved my grade.

but yeah, he basically told us "write me anything, and i will give you a good grade. I don't care."

I just... am not happy with doing that. i feel weird about it. slacking off every day, and never doing any of the reading? sure. turning in a shitty paper? oh no!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: "Most"
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 01:54:47 pm »



MOST
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: "Most"
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 04:09:00 pm »

MOST

That's exactly where my mind went, too - followed shortly by a struggle to remember the name of the guy who played Pottsie.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: "Most"
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 04:49:11 pm »

His name is Anson, and he developed an ointment for hot flashes.

I heard this on an AM radio interview as I bleary eye'd my way across the country.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: "Most"
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 05:05:55 pm »

Quote
Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: "Most"
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 05:13:18 pm »

I'll start you off:

"While John Stamos did not have the MOST evidence in the world that he should be considered one of The Beach Boys, he certainly had more than most people do. He certainly has more than I do."

From there it just writes itself.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: "Most"
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 06:18:38 pm »

Wombat, does the name Ralph Malph ring any bells for you?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: "Most"
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 06:22:08 pm »



Donny Most and Anson Williams were often the foils to America's Everyteen Richie Cunningham, on television's Happy Days.

Donny... I don't know what became of him.   Anson, developed the aforementioned ointment while working under the hot lights at his day job of filming and directing television.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: "Most"
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 06:27:35 pm »

Wombat, does the name Ralph Malph ring any bells for you?

Nope. Sounds like something you're making up.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: "Most"
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 06:29:19 pm »

PS. Neither did the name "John Hughes" ring any bells.

I swear, I don't go out of my way to be out of touch with popular culture. It just happens.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up