Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Italian food is like pornography. I can’t define it, but I know when I have paid too much.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: John Hughes - How to Choose  (Read 4473 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Asherdan

  • Flavor-Flav's Blinking Tooth
  • Mod Squad
  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 678
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 188
    • View Profile
John Hughes - How to Choose
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:21:27 pm »

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:40:05 pm by Asherdan »
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 04:26:51 pm »

We watched Weird Science about eight hundred times in high school.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 04:27:14 pm »

Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 04:36:09 pm »

See, I thought this was about how to separate early great John Hughes from later... regrettable John Hughes.

When you call him up on imdb, the credit that shows up on the page where you separate him out from people with similar names, the credit is "writer - Home Alone 2: Lost In New York" for God's sake. The loss of perspective, the downfall into self-obsessed fatherhood and the creative laziness that comes with having your three houses all paid off... and then right off the cliff into strict kiddie treacle.

That first hint "She's Having A Baby" all the way down that hell-ride, all the way to co-writing "Maid In Manhattan" under a pen name.

Yet... man. Dude had a six or seven year run like nobody's business. "Vacation" to "Planes Trains and Automobiles".

And on the other hand other hand other hand though, Willie Mays, lost out there in the canyon that was Shea's outfield, writing fuck*ng "Flubber".

Life is goddamned weird. Rest in peace, nonetheless, talented dude I never met.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 06:22:30 pm »

I think Jay and Silent Bob finally got him.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 07:27:44 pm »

I absolutely love the movies of his that I've seen. Brilliant.

Although, of course, DUCKIE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE GIRL.

I would like to hear a story where a film was changed after focus-grouping, and it was better afterwards.

(the latest failure of this being the decision that "Let the Right One In" is too long of a movie title for Americans. WHAT!?)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 09:30:49 pm »

I always thought John Hughes was that guy that made syrupy teen movies that I was never interested in because I was in my 20s by that point.

But I heard his obit on the radio yesterday and he did Planes Trains and Automobiles and Vacation two of the funniest movies ever made.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 10:36:25 pm »

"Let the Right One In" is too long of a movie title for Americans. WHAT!?)

What indeed. Let's get some more Assasinations of Jesse James by the Cowards Robert Ford up in this piece. I was more offput by the fact that they're doing an American remake of this one in the first place, when the original was nearly perfect just the way it was. See also: Steven Spielberg, Harvey

I've appreciated most of the John Hughes movies that I've seen, although The Breakfast Club falls into the category of "Things That Other People Love That I Merely Think are Okay."
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 10:37:25 pm »

yeah, I wasn't so into Breakfast Club when I saw it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 01:44:49 am »

"So what do you do on TOUAMB?"

"Well, we get together, and we talk about cartoon cats, properties of cartoon cats."

"So it's kinda social. Demented and sad, but social."

***

"Ray Smuckles, hip-hop king of Achewood?"

"The same."

***

"It's a 1965 Ford Galaxie with the cammer 427 657 bhp so choice if you have the means I highly recommend picking one up dogg."
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 01:54:35 pm »

I was kindly informed by Mrs. Isosceles today that, for over twenty years or so, I did not know that John Hughes and John Waters were separate people. Pop culture fail.

Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 03:21:49 pm »

I've talked to people who couldn't tell John Waters from ROGER Waters and so...

Somehow, somewhere, someone must have all three of them confused.

Which is really interesting, I think.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 08:40:37 pm »

The Osmonds and the Osbournes.

That one took until like 8th grade.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 09:25:45 pm »

I've talked to people who couldn't tell John Waters from ROGER Waters and so...

Somehow, somewhere, someone must have all three of them confused.

Which is really interesting, I think.

It's a coming of age movie about a teenager who takes too much LSD and chops up his friend Eugene with an axe...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: John Hughes - How to Choose
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 02:52:18 am »

in my youth i would confuse 'beastie boys' with 'beach boys'(not pertaining to musical stylings, just in name)

i also thought that the dude from blue oyster cult was singing, "dont fear the reefer!"
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up