Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That the second best way to sound like a noob is to ask why robot and pants are censored?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP Les Paul  (Read 2037 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
RIP Les Paul
« on: August 13, 2009, 06:13:01 pm »

Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Les Paul
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:02:18 pm »

The man was a god.

Invented the electric guitar and multitracking.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: RIP Les Paul
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 11:31:10 pm »

Oh man. Thanks for your contributions to rock and/or roll.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Les Paul
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 11:45:17 pm »

I thought y'all music loving fucks would have more to say about this.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Les Paul
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 12:13:47 am »

Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Les Paul
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 07:33:26 pm »

The Les Paul Gibson is my favorite guitar to hear played in rock and/or roll.  Even if I don't particularly dig Les Paul's music specifically (he's good, just not my style) he's made an enormous contribution to the music I love.

Humbucker reprazent, yo.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: RIP Les Paul
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 07:19:07 am »

Les Paul is one of those guys that...

He did a lot of important things, but I hate his music to hell.

Thank you, Les Paul, for creating an instrument which allowed people to make awesome music, that does not at all sound like the music you made.

Although, now I have "Mr Sandman" stuck in my head from clicking on youtube videos linked to from youtube videos linked to from the videos August posted.

So maybe soon I'll go through a corny-50's-guitar phase.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Les Paul
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 07:48:02 am »

I just watched Juno this week.  The pregnant girl has a crush on the man who is going to adopt her baby.  He plays Sonic Youth's version of Superstar for her and she digs it.  Later when they are having a terrible fight she screams at him "Oh and I bought a Sonic Youth album and it sucked.  It's just fuck*ng noise."
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: RIP Les Paul
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 10:22:03 pm »

yeah, that is the danger of recommending bands in a nonspecific way.

"you said Led Zeppelin rocked, and I bought Led Zeppelin III, what's with all this folk shit!"

This is why I am the toolshed who either burns you a CD, or recommends a specific album.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1]   Go Up