Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Jumping jacks, flinging myself off of low decks, yelling into an empty bottle of carrot juice. Trying to get in writing mode.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Squeaky Fromme is free!  (Read 6823 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 04:01:12 pm »

But was it that they didn't recognize Bob Dylan or that they did not even recognize that they should know who Bob Dylan is.  I took the story to mean that they had never even heard of Bob Dylan.

Bob Dylan.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 04:36:48 pm »

But was it that they didn't recognize Bob Dylan or that they did not even recognize that they should know who Bob Dylan is.  I took the story to mean that they had never even heard of Bob Dylan.

Bob Dylan.

Agreed.


Bob Dylan cares what Bob Dylan thinks. Let's hear from Bob Dylan. Bob Dylan!
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 06:06:27 pm »

Those cops were Juggalos.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 06:33:11 pm »

squeaky fromme is one hell of a name.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 03:59:31 am »

Sure if it was out of nowhere, but still - I wouldn't cross the street to see Bob Dylan, but I think I'd be aware if a no doubt hugely promoted concert was in town and I am pretty sure that in that case I'd recognize him and put two and two together.

Anyway, don't spoil it for it for me. I am loving the idea that 24 year olds don't know or care who he is. The past is the past, people who can't stop talking about the 40th anniversary of Woodstock. Who gives a fuck?
Honestly, no matter where he was wandering around, I think it would be easy to mistake Bob Dylan for a crazy homeless person. C'mon, look at this one:
http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/police-officer-Long-Branch-File/photo//030125/249/480zi.html/

First of all, let me say that Bob Dylan has been the most influential person in the last 10 years of my life, and, even though for the last two years there are very few times when I won't turn Dylan off immediately when I hear it, he is still one of my favorites.  Also, you listen to Springsteen, which, I mean so do I, but, like, c'mon.  I am not into hippie culture, but art is art and Dylan almost ruined Woodstock (it was supposed to be on his upstate property.)  Also, the greatest, most influential lyricist of all time, but, yeah, you don't need people experimenting and taking things in places they have never been before, I guess.

Also, Dylan and Willie Nelson came to my town a few years ago and played at a minor league baseball park.  Before that, I know Nelson played at a local community college and Dylan played at the zoo, so don't assume. 

That picture?  Pretty sure it was taken when Dylan was undergoing or recovering from a serious heart condition that could have easily killed him.  He looks a lot better now, so, you know, don't assume.

Also? even if he looks like shit it is from taking drugs and sleeping with beautiful people all over the world.  Pretty much everyone with a brain would make the trade, so, you know, don't be a dick.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 07:16:24 am »

the guy behind me at the sonic youth concert said something like "who's thurston moore?" when someone said something about thurston moore.
Which isn't as good as bob dylan, but also this guy had just paid 50$ to get into this concert.

i was recently in a funny situation where someone hadn't heard of someone REALLY IMPORTANT, but now I cannot freaking remember it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 01:18:06 pm »

Guaranteed those poor cops have at least one friend like Keith.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 01:21:45 pm »

Here is someone who manages to be amusing rather than self-important about the life-changing musical events of the sixties.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/15/opinion/15collins.html?_r=1
Best reader comment: "Thanks for making me laugh out loud several times while reading your column. You almost made me forgive your generation for giving us Fleetwood Mac."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 04:27:10 pm »

See, I just have it beaten into my head by my dad that when his generation needed to have some kind of a leader so that things wouldn't turn out... the way that things did turn out... Bob Dylan turned back into Robbie Zimmerman, found Christ, cut some country albums and basically proved himself not in any way an authentic artist but rather some kind of Madonna for hippies, changing his image to whatever would make him the most money and/or give him the popular image he desired in the current cultural zeitgeist.

And inspired wave after wave of inauthentic copycats, digging the same parched soil, for the same kind of utterly calculated shapeshifter bullshit populism, be it Bruce Springsteen or John Cougar Lincoln Ford Mercury or... anything else of that ilk. Christ, even Dylan made fun of Springsteen for it on a Travelling Wilburies song himself.

Also, the guy is a talented songwriter whose voice sounds like a cat shitting sandpaper into bagpipes.

So these are my problems with Bob Dylan.

If you're looking for me to tell you that I think they're entirely sane reasons, no, I'm not so crazy as to I think I'm not crazy. If you're looking for passionate opinions and a scattershot knowledge base, I'm your man. If you're looking for internal consistency, by all means, buy yourself a D&D Dungeon Master's Guide.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 04:44:11 pm »

This is what I have come to realize about music:

1. Sometimes stuff is good even if it's popular
2. Sometimes you don't like stuff even if it's good, and there's nothing wrong with that
3. It's only rock n'roll. Don't get your knickers in a twist.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009, 04:46:31 pm »

Mozart was a fraud!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 05:00:14 pm »

Mozart was a fraud!

Oh God, that Mozart. A total sellout. And Bach. Don't even get me started on Bach, churning out all those cantatas for every Sunday mass. What wouldn't he write, with all those kids to support?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 05:21:38 pm »

'zactly.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 10:29:11 pm »

I made out with a girl whose favorite beatle was Paul. I don't know if that is better or worse than my friend whose favorite is Ringo.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Squeaky Fromme is free!
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 10:37:37 pm »

My girlfriend has terrible taste in music. I AM GLAD SHE WILL NEVER FIND OUT THAT I SAID THAT.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up