Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wine: Keep a red and a white on hand at all times. When choosing wines on the wine aisle, use this simple rhyme to make your selection: “Closer to the floor, is meant for the poor / closer to the lights, is more like for if Bono comes over.” -=RAY=-

Poll

YOU PICK NOW

John
- 5 (22.7%)
Paul
- 4 (18.2%)
George
- 6 (27.3%)
Ringo
- 4 (18.2%)
Other (specify)
- 3 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21


Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Beatle  (Read 7665 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Favorite Beatle
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 10:15:00 pm »

what i like most about the fab four is that they made acceptible, music that rocked pretty hard, but at the same, was catchy and fun and palatable to different peer groups.  even now, a lot of young people share a love, or even an enjoyment of the tunes of those dudes with their parents.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Favorite Beatle
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 10:26:39 pm »

"Helter Skelter" is still abrasive enough that my mom asks me to go to the next song.

and Revolution #9.
and"Happiness is a Warm Gun" is so weird...

Damn, John's songs on that album are so fuck*ng awesome and weird.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Beatle
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 02:55:29 am »

To me the Beatles were kind of "there", somehow... But never really got around to really know what I'm talking about when I talk about the Beatles. They were kind of like Radiohead back then is that right?
According to Bono, they were the U2 of their time.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 05:37:12 am by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Favorite Beatle
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 10:55:33 pm »

Heh, and to Chris Martin...
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Beatle
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 10:43:35 am »

mono remasters are tits, looking forward to checking out stereo.

since they are rich as fuck i can post the rapidshare links if it is cool or wanted?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Beatle
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 11:43:35 am »

Did anyone else read the Onion AV review by Klosterman? Amazingly funny stuff: http://www.avclub.com/articles/chuck-klosterman-repeats-the-beatles,32560/

Quote
Like most people, I was initially confused by EMI’s decision to release remastered versions of all 13 albums by the Liverpool pop group Beatles, a 1960s band so obscure that their music is not even available on iTunes.
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Favorite Beatle
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 11:03:51 pm »

mono remasters are tits, looking forward to checking out stereo.

I have a question for any audiophiles here. What is the benefit of mono over stereo? I know that most Beatles albums were originally mono mixes so is it just preserving the original mix or is there another reason to prefer mono over stereo?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Beatle
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 11:16:04 pm »

i can't stand klosterman. he's ironic and apathetic and complains about people who are ironic and apathetic. which is ironic, and i don't fuck*ng care. he's a hipster and he hates himself, or he should because he hates hipsters, and if the editors of esquire keep turning the magazine into Maxim circa '97 then klosterman won't be the only thing i stop reading.


miles, from what i hear, the stereo mixes weren't overseen by any band members or associated producers, but in-house studio producers that arbitrarily decided which tracks went where for the stereo cut. the mono mixes were the ones that epstein and martin and the four actually worked on themselves and called "good." when i was a kid one of my headphones died, and good lord the half of that stereo mix i heard of past masters was just unlistenable.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Favorite Beatle
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2009, 11:22:09 pm »

I see. But I imagine these new stereo mixes should be better? Basically I'm trying to decide whether buying both the mono box and the stereo box is even worth considering, or if I should just settle on deciding whether to buy one or the other. I think the mono box doesn't include Abbey Road because that was originally mixed in stereo (I think Let it Be and Yellow Submarine too). Which is kind of obnoxious that they just wouldn't throw the stereo mixes for those albums into the mono box.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Favorite Beatle
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2009, 11:47:34 pm »

Did anyone else read the Onion AV review by Klosterman? Amazingly funny stuff: http://www.avclub.com/articles/chuck-klosterman-repeats-the-beatles,32560/

Klosterman kinda bugs me too but the article will be worth it for the replies it inspires. Just scanning the top few there is already one complaining about him calling "Rain" a boring song. It reminds me of this satirical column (like, satire is actually in the subtitle of the column) in the local alternative weekly, and this being Utah it naturally pokes fun at mormons and mormon culture. I really don't enjoy the column at all, except that every once in a while there will be a letter to the editor that's all "Orrin Hatch actually isn't a polygamist in fact the LDS church stopped the practice of polygamy over a century ago you should really check your facts before publishing this garbage" which makes it worth it.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Favorite Beatle
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 12:00:10 am »

I hate Chuck Klosterman. he is not funny.

also he made some statement about Punk Rock, i forget exactly what, that made me very mad.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Beatle
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 01:57:32 am »

I see. But I imagine these new stereo mixes should be better? Basically I'm trying to decide whether buying both the mono box and the stereo box is even worth considering, or if I should just settle on deciding whether to buy one or the other. I think the mono box doesn't include Abbey Road because that was originally mixed in stereo (I think Let it Be and Yellow Submarine too). Which is kind of obnoxious that they just wouldn't throw the stereo mixes for those albums into the mono box.

They aren't new mixes, but new masters of the original sixties mixes. They apparently sound much better because the technology to transfer analogue tape to digital has vastly improved since 1987, but they're still the same mixes with the same odd track placement Choopernickel complains about. (Personally, I love the way those sound through headphones, at least when both channels are working.)
Logged

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Favorite Beatle
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 02:01:43 am »

They aren't new mixes, but new masters of the original sixties mixes.

That's right. I've read some bitching about it not being remixed (and if it was, there'd probably be bitching about that). Anyway, I'll probably end up buying neither. That's a lot of money.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Beatle
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 04:29:47 am »

So I'm listening to the remasters this evening (disc two of the mono Past Masters, mono Sgt. Pepper's, stereo Abbey Road, stereo Revolver, and now I think I'll give the stereo Sgt. Pepper a spin), and all I can say is

I THINK MY MY HEART'S EXPLODIN'! THESE REMASTERS!
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Beatle
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 05:29:51 am »

Ringo was my favorite when I was a kid, probably because he was the littlest and also because he had the rockingest mustache. So I had to vote for Ringo.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up