Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat changed her avatar back and no one noticed. Her feelings are hurt.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Teddy Kennedy is Dead  (Read 3829 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Teddy Kennedy is Dead
« on: August 26, 2009, 03:02:11 pm »

Posting a thread about Ted Kennedy couldn't possibly result in a flame war could it?

Here's an article praising him.

Here's a less glowing report that admittedly I didn't read in it's entirety.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 03:10:51 pm by pmcd9 »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Teddy Kennedy is Dead
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 03:34:17 pm »

Wow. Jeez.

Shit.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Teddy Kennedy is Dead
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 04:13:49 pm »

Actually, dude pulled about a year and a half after that diagnosis, which is pretty good. Like him or not, his suffering is complete and it's fair to let him have that in peace.
QFT.  His folks got to say goodbye, and he certainly had time to put his affairs in order. 
Requiescat in pace

Edit:  The thread Ash linked to took an awesome trip to Borneo.  Made me can folks a bunch more times.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 04:30:54 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Teddy Kennedy is Dead
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 04:35:15 am »

Regardless of how one feels about him, it's pretty incredible how Chappaquiddick is only briefly mentioned in most of the items I've read or heard, and usually in the same breath with something like "although he was no stranger to controversy, he was the greatest man of the 20th and 21st centuries." Equally troubling is that he was a close friend of Orrin Hatch.

Really, I don't mean to be starting anything. Whether you like him or not, he was obviously an extraordinary person.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Teddy Kennedy is Dead
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 04:45:55 am »

I don't know jack about the guy but I my vague understanding is that he was instrumental (at least as a figurehead) in the current healthcare reform thing, do we think a surge of death related good will going to improve the chances of the dems getting that through? I'm assuming his death wouldn't have a negative affect since he couldn't possibly have been that active in the bill in anything but spirit.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Teddy Kennedy is Dead
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 08:22:52 am »

I know almost nothing about Teddy Kennedy.  I have only a vague concept of him existing in the aura of the standard Kennedy family mythology claptrap, plus a whiff of potential moral ambiguity that's also de rigueur for the clan.

A close high school friend's dad died of brain cancer, and from what I heard, it's basically one of the more horrible ways to go, and the sort of death you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.  I'm all for Ash's suggestions of his suffering being complete for that reason.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Teddy Kennedy is Dead
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 08:59:57 am »

I'm from Massachusetts. Damn near everything good that got done for Massachusetts in national politics during my lifetime was either Ted Kennedy's doing or strongly backed by him. The rest of the nation went "hurr hurr drunk Chappaquiddick" but the dude got shit done.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Teddy Kennedy is Dead
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 09:39:37 am »

Dude tried to make the world a better place despite having more than enough money and more excuses than basically anyone to not do good with his time.

If there's a heaven, dude is probably on his way and... insofaras that goes, Godspeed.

The thing about Chappaquiddick is... like... if there's any human being alive when I was also alive where something that awful could have been a conspiratorial set-up to curtail his power on the public stage, it's Ted. Scoff if you want but the dude's brothers were murdered in excessively complicated and shady assassination plots, one of them while running for President and one of them AS president.

One imagines the preserved head of Prescott Bush from a secret bunker under Yale or Cinderella's Castle telling a general:

"Yeah, we killed the first two, killing this one would be a little... obvious, don't you think? Just ruin him."

Other than the disembodied head, it almost sounds plausible but only for Ted Kennedy.

Rest in peace, flawed awesome guy.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Teddy Kennedy is Dead
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 01:19:11 pm »

I lived in Massachusetts for over a decade but I guess I wasn't paying attention, because I had not much more than Smells' 'vague Kennedy plus moral ambiguity' idea of him. But listening this morning to some detailed reports of what he accomplished, I have to say, if anyone ever redeemed himself, it sounds like it was this guy.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Teddy Kennedy is Dead
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 01:45:18 pm »

I mean if you're going to bring up conspiracies, what a well timed distration this might be for another untimely demise.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Teddy Kennedy is Dead
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 06:32:49 pm »

Prescott Bush was such an asshole.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Teddy Kennedy is Dead
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 07:15:23 am »

What the fuck, Massachusetts?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Teddy Kennedy is Dead
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 07:39:18 am »

The problem with a nation of contrarians is that... yeah.

Sure, they rise up when things are getting bad and turn things around.

But, also, when things are starting to look up, they... rise up and turn things around.

Here we are now, I suppose, entertain us.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Teddy Kennedy is Dead
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 04:32:29 pm »

What the fuck, Massachusetts?

As Jon Stewart so eloquently explained the democrats chose a terrible terrible candidate.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Teddy Kennedy is Dead
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 04:36:32 pm »

You know Massachussetts already has a universal health insurance law at the state level. I feel like they're all "Fuck you, we've got ours" to the rest of the country.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up