To elaborate on my personal situation, now that I'm not under a hood of depression, I can say there were definite, immediate options for mental health care that I didn't access. There were multiple free counseling programs offered through medical clinics and abuse recovery centres in my community that I was aware of and did not access, including one available all day, three days a week, on walk-in basis, about 15 minutes from my house by foot. I still have the phone number of that clinic and its hours written down in my address book, which, back then, I ignored for months while waiting to see a psychiatrist. I still have the pamphlet of another organization that offered free one on one or group counseling to any women with my personal history that I could have, again, accessed for free at any time I decided was right.
I can't for the life of me understand why I insisted on seeing a psychiatrist (which yes, did have a two month wait time) rather than a therapist certified as a psychologist or mood disorder specialist, and either of which I could have accessed immediately. At the time, I'm fairly certain I wasn't ready to confront the root cause of my depression, and while running away from that, I was also in denial of the fact there were plenty of opportunities to get well that I was ignoring.
The pain of accepting my fammily situation was just too much for me to confront at the time, so I made excuses and avoided actually looking at (and making adult choices about) this problem until I had no other choice. I also held a glamorized idea of what a psychiatrist was, and thought I wouldn't get any magical happy ending from anyone but my TV idea of what a psychiatrist was. Interestingly enough, when I did finally see my psychiatrist, he had no interest in medicating me, which was the only thing he could have done for me that a psychologist or therapist couldn't, and mean while, any psychologist affiliated with a health clinic could have easily connected me with their acting physician to prescribe meds if I had needed them. My psychiatrist wasn't glamorous at all, there was none of the Prince of Tides deep spiritual connection I hoped for. All he did was basically hand me Klleenex and confront me with the truth about my situation repeatedly until I had no choice but to hear it, which is something any neutral party could have done. Don't get me wrong - he did a great job of being bluntly, brutally honest with me while everyone else who cared was molly coddling me out of misplaced kindness so as to not upset my already shaken self. A psychologist, or any other disinterested third party could have done that though, and now that I've personally known a few counselors through my last job, I know there are some out there without the fancy degree who could have done just as good a job at that, and immediately been able to see me too. There was nothing chemically wrong with me, I was in a fucked up situation, and a fucked up situation I didn't want to accept the depth or permanence of.
The truth will set you free. That doesn't mean it wont kick your ass around the block ten times in the process, but the truth will set you free. I feel, honestly, like I am a totally different person now than I was back then. It's odd looking back on it with the total clarity I lacked then though. I'm looking at making some significant changes to my life I might need some therapeutic support on to do right, and now I know all I have to do is find the courage to confront what's holding me back. Once I'm ready to deal with that shit, I know all I need to do is walk into a therapists office and as for guidance and insight into how to make the changes I need to make.