I'm absolutely with you on Nero now. Back in the day of my first CDwriter, I had no idea what to use, and stuck with EasyCD for a while, since it's what P packaged with the drive. Moving to Nero afterwards however, well, it worked!
I have CloneCD around for 'backing up' games, but apart from that I can do pretty much anything I want with Nero.
I also start a million processes and services on startup. The base ones the same - apache and SQL, and I could pretty much do with them alone. But now I have things like the controller profilers (both joystick and pad), the nForce and GFFX control panels and Trillian. Which all seems fine most of the time, but it starts to get noticable playing AC2 or something.
It would be nice if I could ditch ZoneAlarm, since it turns itself into a real RAM whore, but well, not going to happen!
As I say of XP in 2000 mode, it just doesn't quite look right. It feels like a plastic version of 2k. As does 2k3 server, which I would probably have tried switching to by now were it not for nothing working on it yet!
It's like, if anything changes say my penis cursor, and it's functional, and well designed, it will still piss me off, because I like the windows one's Utilitarian ugliness. It just feels right now.
It's really quite sad of me, but what can I say?
As for keeping computers 'til they're useless, I still have a P60 around, one that in fact Intel replaced due to the famous floating point error! Which never seemed to manifest itself, but I figured I might as well get it replaced.
Needless to say I'm not actually running that anymore. Slowest I run is my celeron 300, as a server come LAN C&C machine!