Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!  (Read 10503 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
« on: September 08, 2009, 02:07:21 pm »

abloo abloo bloo-bloo.

I don't understand people complaining that achewood is past its prime. Onstad's lazy resolutions are just as fresh today, I think...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:15:00 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 02:26:19 pm »

I am a great man, but not a good man.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 02:53:29 pm »

I am hella relieved.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 03:13:36 pm »

Will Teodor get some of that settlement money?

Ray's response confuses me--the doctor is prescribing Ketel One to ease his detox, but he doesn't want the detox to be too easy? I would think he would want as much Ketel One as possible.

Beef deserted a dying man--himself? I don't think that makes much sense. If he chooses not to die, then he has saved the dying man.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 03:30:12 pm »

Will Teodor get some of that settlement money?

Ray's response confuses me--the doctor is prescribing Ketel One to ease his detox, but he doesn't want the detox to be too easy? I would think he would want as much Ketel One as possible.

I guess T should get some of the settlement money but he won't for the sake of his character still mooching off Ray and whatnot.

I think Ray means not to ease him off too quickly or down to too low of a level. He doesn't want to end this thing up sober, just not plastered.
Logged

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 03:43:08 pm »

This is terrible. God damn, Achewood, what the hell happened to you?
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 04:02:38 pm »

The whole comic has taken on an air of soul-numbing sausage-grinding and yet somehow manages to try too hard at the same time. Recent arcs have been uninspired, glacially paced, and boring as all fuck. The cast have become thin caricatures of themselves. NOT FUNNY ANYMORE OR EVEN MILDLY AMUSING. Oh hell I could go on but it's like talking shit about a dying relative, it just makes me feel bad for them.
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 04:33:02 pm »

I'm not prepared to make the sort of wide ranging comments that Bimmicus is, but I was pretty disappointed by this ending.

It just feels like a huge copout to me.  After a long and interesting buildup, Onstad leaves us with two cliffhangers (Beef at the door of the karma machine, T & R trapped in the burning truck).  How are the both resolved?  In about the least interesting, most predicable way possible. 

Great setup, lousy resolution.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bimmicus

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 32
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 186
  • Rotten Bastard
    • View Profile
    • SPLUNGE
Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 04:53:36 pm »

I mean, every comic strip has a shelf-life – usually a brief one – but I'm just amazed how fast this turned from a treasured daily read to a steaming, artfully-arranged pile of poop.

edit: I pretty much gave up on Achewood months ago, but someone posted this one in another forum and it genuinely broke my heart a little.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:07:10 pm by Bimmicus »
Logged
you can't spank the monkey if he's on your back

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 05:15:21 pm »

What August said. 

Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 05:53:10 pm »

See, I don't have a problem with this. This seems like a traditional Achewood thing to me. We're sure they're all gonna die, and then they don't. There's no way out of the GOF alive, but then there is. Phillippe's gonna die at the super-secret ice cream store, but he doesn't. There's no way out of the karma machine, but then there is. There's still suspense, because we're never sure they're going to make it out this time, or at least I'm not. I'm always afraid that he might just be that crazy, that he might eventually do it.

Also, what someone on the assbar said:

Quote
I've read this strip for years. The characters are absolutely 100% consistently drawn and yet I still wonder what they will do when presented with hard choices. I had my fingers X'd for 3 days hoping Beef would go back to Molly.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 06:04:12 pm »

See, I don't have a problem with this. This seems like a traditional Achewood thing to me. We're sure they're all gonna die, and then they don't. There's no way out of the GOF alive, but then there is. Phillippe's gonna die at the super-secret ice cream store, but he doesn't. There's no way out of the karma machine, but then there is. There's still suspense, because we're never sure they're going to make it out this time, or at least I'm not. I'm always afraid that he might just be that crazy, that he might eventually do it.


Yabbut in the GOF they get out by firebombing jeeps and bringing the house down.  Phillippe's gonna die, but he escapes himself and kills a deer in the process.  None of that cool stuff happens here.

Beef goes to bed.  Ray and T escaped offscreen.  No surreal twists.  No excitement.  Just over.

Also, what the hell dying man did Beef abandon?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 06:27:46 pm »

I'm a girl, I guess, I don't prefer the movies with exploding jeeps.

I assumed he meant he abandoned himself, in some way?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 07:43:30 pm »

I too was disappointed in the end of this arc.  We were built up for something that never occurred.

The GOF kept building to a definite climax.  Where was the climax here?  I don't want to get all Bimmicus up in here, but this arc had super potential wasted. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

milhouse

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 08:31:01 pm »

There was no 'fin'. Maybe it's not over?
Logged
Three mute birds, walking in procession,
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up