Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My Dang Ears lol  (Read 8039 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
My Dang Ears lol
« on: September 09, 2009, 11:30:48 pm »

I usually talk on the phone with my left hand and my left ear. I was on the phone just now. I had it in my left ear as usual. I had to walk away to check on some information for the person to whom I was talking. When I came back, I was approaching the phone from the other side. So I picked it up with my right hand, and put it to my right ear. And you guys, it was two to three times as loud. I switched it back and forth a few times, because repeated results are the backbone of the scientific method, and every time I could hear much better in my right ear than in my left. Is this something I should see a doctor about? I had those hearing tests back in school, just like everyone else (you know, the one where you put on the headphones and tell them when you hear a beep), and they always said I was normal.

What gives?
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:08:14 am »

I usually talk on the phone with my left hand and my left ear. I was on the phone just now. I had it in my left ear as usual. I had to walk away to check on some information for the person to whom I was talking. When I came back, I was approaching the phone from the other side. So I picked it up with my right hand, and put it to my right ear. And you guys, it was two to three times as loud. I switched it back and forth a few times, because repeated results are the backbone of the scientific method, and every time I could hear much better in my right ear than in my left. Is this something I should see a doctor about? I had those hearing tests back in school, just like everyone else (you know, the one where you put on the headphones and tell them when you hear a beep), and they always said I was normal.

What gives?

It could just be a wax blockage. In which case your doc can flush your ears. I have a wax problem and need to get mine flushed every year or so.  My left ear is always worse and it sometimes affects my hearing. It's really annoying.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 12:11:06 am »

You need a doctor to clean the wax from your ears?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 12:19:35 am »

You need a doctor to clean the wax from your ears?

Think of it like the difference between brushing your teeth, and going to the dentist for a teeth cleaning.

Check out this video of prominent YouTuber and environmentalist Hank Green getting his ear flushed. I guess some people might think this is gross, just a heads up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNPoDsxAXBw

Also, my dad had severe problems with wax when he was a child.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 12:44:51 am by Toaster »
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 12:59:17 am »

You need a doctor to clean the wax from your ears?

Well, a nurse, but yeah. I produce way too much wax. Q-tips just make things worse. I try to use one of those bulb syringes and some of the wax-softening drops but like every other year things get out of hand and a trip to the doctor's office is needed.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 01:02:53 am »

Well, a nurse, but yeah. I produce way too much wax. Q-tips just make things worse. I try to use one of those bulb syringes and some of the wax-softening drops but like every other year things get out of hand and a trip to the doctor's office is needed.
That's an interesting bio cycle to have. "its an odd year, ill have to get my ears scrubbed in September"
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 03:15:06 am »

As an adult, my scalp and ears are always dry and get irritated easily. However, when I was a kid I had to get my ears irrigated too. That is crazy.
Logged

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 03:46:30 am »

I have extremely waxy ears (runs in the family) and I've tried everything, but a few months ago I finally had to resort to having a nurse clean them out (after it got so bad I was nearly deaf). When the nurse came in the room she went over to a cabinet and pulled out a GIANT stainless steel syringe that was seriously about 18" long. She filled it up with warmish water, gave me a bowl to hold under my ear, put the tip inside my ear canal and then really wailed on it. I mean she seriously used a lot of force to shoot that water in there - more force than I would think was healthy or safe, but she's the nurse I guess.

What happened next I count among the greatest experiences in my life up to this point. I felt a gushing sensation as this torrent of water came pouring out of my ears, and then a *pop* as the giant wax ball came sliding out. The relief I felt was absolutely amazing, since the wax had not only been blocking my hearing but also causing a horrible case of tinnitus. I thanked all the deities I could think of that the ringing went away, since I don't know if my sanity would have survived a lifetime of that awful sound.

When the nurse looked in the bowl at all of the detritus that came tumbling out of my ear she actually recoiled in disgust. I'm oddly proud of that moment - I actually grossed out a nurse (and a seasoned one at that) who has seen god-knows-what kind of horrors in her 30-odd years as a health-care worker.
Logged

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 04:04:22 am »

I'm oddly proud of that moment - I actually grossed out a nurse (and a seasoned one at that) who has seen god-knows-what kind of horrors in her 30-odd years as a health-care worker.

This once happened to me, but replace "nurse" with "sex shop clerk".
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 04:41:23 am »

So how much volume are
When the nurse looked in the bowl at all of the detritus that came tumbling out of my ear she actually recoiled in disgust.

So how much volume are we actually talking about.  I'm still finding it hard to believe this is a problem that requires professional assistance.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 04:51:35 am »

I have access to shit loads of syringes, can I just shoot some warm water into my ear?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 04:59:43 am »

I would say one smallish marble-sized chunk out of each ear, plus a whole buffet of tiny pebbles (of earwax, not stone). Also some brown sludge oozed out after about a minute that had to be mopped up.

I seriously bought 3 different brands of earwax softener (all with the same basic active ingredient which I believe is some kind of peroxide), a traditional "bulb" irrigater, and a fancy "patent-pending" tri-flow syringe style earwax flusher (safety release tip included). My Girlfriend at the time stood there for about 20 min., twice a day for two weeks refilling the devices and shooting a stream of water in my ear, all in vain.

I believe the main problem was I wasn't comfortable using the kind of force that is really required. The nurse's method was actually very painful at first, and I'm pretty sure she emptied about half a liter of water into my ear in about 3 and a half seconds. And hey, even without insurance it only cost me $32 (at a private practice). I spent at least that on all the crap I bought at CVS.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 05:05:59 am »

ear candling?

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 05:27:07 am »

candling doesn't work for shit
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 05:38:00 am »

So how much volume are
So how much volume are we actually talking about.  I'm still finding it hard to believe this is a problem that requires professional assistance.

It happens all the time at our clinic. Dudes who work outside in the cold and stuff seem to build up a lot of earwax. Our nurses and techs are always siphoning out some dude's head by way of his earhole. It's pretty disgusting.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up