Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My Dang Ears lol  (Read 8018 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 01:51:43 pm »

I have access to shit loads of syringes, can I just shoot some warm water into my ear?

This is what my doctor said to do. Although if it's gone as far as the stories in these other posts, maybe not.

Anyway, get your ear wax looked at before you go to a stupid ear doctor who's going to do that whole test with the beeps and all.  It is a much bigger production than when they did it in school and it's not clear what the point is. As far as I could tell, if they had found that there was something wrong with my ears, it's not like they could have done a damn thing about it anyway.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 04:18:44 pm »

this is basically all you need:

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 05:02:05 pm »

My doctor used a scraping-type device rather than the irrigation thing.  The chunk he took out was bigger than a plain M&M, smaller than a peanut M&M.  As others have stated, it was disconcerting and a bit painful, but then I was like "Holy shit, I can HEAR!"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 09:03:20 pm »

I must say, that's a lot of wax.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 09:47:51 pm »

As far as I could tell, if they had found that there was something wrong with my ears, it's not like they could have done a damn thing about it anyway.
At least you'd know its 'cos your deaf, not because of the cockroach living in your ear canal.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 06:10:35 am »

I too have had the ear-gook-high-pressure clean out, and it was awesome.  I had no idea such a large amount of gunk could be in there.  I had mine done the same time as my sister, back in knuckle head times.  She had lost a wad of cotton in her ear (our mom used to make us put small wads of cotton in our ears to prevent ear aches - what the hell is that about?), and the doc blasted it out.  Then I got a turn, and it felt pretty fantastic.  I'd like to have it done again, but it isn't the sort of thing I imagine a doctor doing unless I presented a problem more significant than "my ears have wax in them."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 04:17:38 pm »

Smells, you can usually pair it up with another visit. When talking to the nurse before the doctor comes in I'll just be "oh, and the phone sounds quieter on my left side. I think I have a wax build-up" and they'll check my ear and do a flush at the end of the appointment.

But yeah, scheduling a whole visit and making the copay just for that does seem kind of silly.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2009, 09:38:07 pm »

I spray the water nozzle from the shower in my ear.  That's pretty rad.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 11:28:07 am »

I went to the doctor the first time this hearing loss happened to me because my grandfather had serious hearing loss in the ear I had all blocked up.  But since then, I've learned the rubber bulb syringe that comes in ear cleaning kits can be as good as the doctor's cleaning.

You got to get the water as hot as you can, lean over so gravity is at da max, jam that syringe deep as a mfer, and then shoot that shit with unmitigated force.  You got to shoot that shit hard, I ain't kidding about this.

When I think of the size and look of the wax that came out on that doctor visit, it makes me pretty queasy.  It was pretty disgusting.
Logged
ACHIEVE

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 01:44:52 pm »

I'm going to have Pedro look into this.

Wait, does it work on selective hearing loss?

Also: anyone else tried Sinus Rinses? They're like an enema for your face.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 02:31:13 pm »

Wait, does it work on selective hearing loss?

You mean, like, in the children?  No, but this does.

"Liz, can you come help pick up these Barbies?"

[silence]

"Liz, you want some ice cream?"

"YEAH!"

"Oh good, you can hear me.  Get over here and pick up these Barbies."

Six years old, and still hasn't figured out that when Dad says "You want some ice cream?", nine times out of ten he doesn't actually have any ice cream.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 03:16:59 pm »

Also: anyone else tried Sinus Rinses? They're like an enema for your face.
I do this twice a day in allergy season, and a couple times a week otherwise.  It too has high entertainment value for the "holy cow, that was in my head?" factor.  At first.  After a while it ceases to be as interesting because there isn't time for colorful stuff to build up.  I seem to get sick less often, and my allergies are much better.  I was growing a huge polyp in my sinuses, and the doctor suggested this as a something to try before more extreme steps.  Worked like a charm - polyp went away.  Wait 'til polite company isn't around because the sounds you make are pretty horrendous.

I believe linnea is also a fan.  Of the irrigation - not the noises.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 03:19:16 pm »

Also - I got good news/bad news on the ear front myself last week.  There is no hideous isopod crouching in there, so that's good;  there is no wax either, so the hearing loss I'm experiencing appears to have no immediate remedy.  On to the next specialist this week.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 03:31:59 pm »

My ears are ringing again this morning, but fortunately I know it is Bruce's fault, no isopods involved.

I have another problem that I think might be due to ear wax, and I have been trying to rinse my ear out by squirting warm water with a little eye dropper. I gather from *****_god's description that I am wasting my time with this wimpy procedure.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: My Dang Ears lol
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2009, 03:09:50 am »

I do this twice a day in allergy season, and a couple times a week otherwise.  It too has high entertainment value for the "holy cow, that was in my head?" factor.  At first.  After a while it ceases to be as interesting because there isn't time for colorful stuff to build up.  I seem to get sick less often, and my allergies are much better.  I was growing a huge polyp in my sinuses, and the doctor suggested this as a something to try before more extreme steps.  Worked like a charm - polyp went away.  Wait 'til polite company isn't around because the sounds you make are pretty horrendous.

I believe linnea is also a fan.  Of the irrigation - not the noises.

Oh shit yes. Nasal irrigation is awesome. Just don't do it like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQm7YpxgOnA
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up