Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Note how white pepper, ground freshly into one's hand, makes it smell as though you've been rubbing your open palm around on a horse's anus.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Check This Shit Out  (Read 15931 times)

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Check This Shit Out
« on: September 12, 2009, 06:47:56 am »

So I saw this on io9 today. It's something that some people would find disturbing*, so ask yourself if you are one of those people before clicking on this. Ask yourself if you are a little yellow-bellied coward.

http://io9.com/5357663/tongue+eating-parasites-attack-giraffe-near-normandy

*I guess I should say what kind of disturbing it is. Because there are so many kinds. It's a gross-looking animal.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Check This Shit Out
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 07:32:08 am »

That's pretty fucked up.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Check This Shit Out
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 03:01:26 pm »

A damn.  That parasite is all: "hey how are you.  I'm awful in every way possible.  Carry on."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Check This Shit Out
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 04:13:06 pm »

A damn.  That parasite is all: "hey how are you.  I'm awful in every way possible.  Carry on."

I'd seen this picture before but never heard it described so eloquently.

The worst part is the parasite has a little smile.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Check This Shit Out
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 04:28:25 pm »

OH GOD. NEVER CLICKING TOASTER'S LINKS AGAIN.

God, I thought it would just be a sucking worm kind of thing. An isopod does not belong in ANYONE else's mouth.

I even had to click through a bunch of links to find the original source, in the hope it was faked. But it seems not although the BBC had the GOOD TASTE not to use that particular photo. UGGGGH.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/jersey/8246001.stm

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Check This Shit Out
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 05:06:59 pm »

Cool!  It looks like a li'l bitty Alien.  Awwwww.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Check This Shit Out
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 05:30:11 pm »

So I saw this on io9 today. It's something that some people would find disturbing*, so ask yourself if you are one of those people before clicking on this. Ask yourself if you are a little yellow-bellied coward.

http://io9.com/5357663/tongue+eating-parasites-attack-giraffe-near-normandy

*I guess I should say what kind of disturbing it is. Because there are so many kinds. It's a gross-looking animal.

I am a little yellow-bellied coward, but I also felt a professional duty to click on a story having to do with giraffe. I kind of wish I were a teddy bear historian or something of that kind right now.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Check This Shit Out
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 07:56:39 pm »

what is with that giraffe's chompers
did it retire in '03 and just pick out a set of dentures

this isopod brought to you by pepso-dent
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Check This Shit Out
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 08:10:32 pm »

It's things like this that remind me of my love for parasitology. Sometimes I come up with fictional ones. Because I'm a giant nerd. My OCD really helps me imagine horrible, terrible things like that. I guess it's a way of channeling it into something less... scary.

I didn't articulate that well at all. But it is what it is. I may or may not delete this post (not the thread).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 08:31:34 pm by Toaster »
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Check This Shit Out
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 10:38:13 pm »

What wombat said. Isopods freak me the hell out. Yuck. I'm not clicking. Yes, you may call me a little yellow-bellied coward if you wish.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Check This Shit Out
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 10:41:13 pm »

In case anyone else has read this far without deciding whether or not to click, here's a quote from the researcher that found the thing:

Quote
"Really quite large, really quite hideous - if you turn it over its got dozens of these really sharp, nasty claws underneath and I thought 'that's a bit of a nasty beast'.

And another that may or may not be reassuring:

Quote
Mr Chambers added: "It doesn't affect humans other than if you do actually come across a live one and try and pick it up - they are quite vicious, they will deliver a good nip."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Check This Shit Out
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 03:56:37 am »

I wonder what the life cycle is though, do they leave eggs in the giraffe? Eggs that could end up in sushi. If they hatch in the sushi would they know any different than to start growing until someone bit into that salmon roll?

Edit: Completely separately I just figured out where Victoria's screen name is from. Internet high fives.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 04:09:03 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Check This Shit Out
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 04:26:07 am »

Edit: Completely separately I just figured out where Victoria's screen name is from. Internet high fives.

FINALLY.

I think this is when I scream.
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Check This Shit Out
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 04:47:16 am »

Freeze frame. Credits roll. To be continued.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Check This Shit Out
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 11:51:16 pm »

Edit: Completely separately I just figured out where Victoria's screen name is from. Internet high fives.

Well thanks a lot, here I was perfectly content in the illusion that it was her real name, because it is so perfectly British-naturalist-giraffe-scientisty, but now I had to go Googling and spoiling the illusion.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up