If you're gonna haul TV Tropes out of its slimy cave, it should be mentioned that Vickus also qualifies for
Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass.
I think I would have enjoyed the film far less had I seen the trailer beforehand. The
Genre Shift was my favorite thing about it. I literally went in expecting a straight-up quiet political mockumentary, just a bunch of interviews with talking heads, some shots of the aliens, and a vague story out of requirement. I was really pleasantly surprised by the black humor in the beginning, finding it reminiscent of The Office, and by the fact that there was a main character at all. When things began to lean more toward action, I was quite taken aback, as I had not expected that in the least.
I watched the trailer online when I got home, and it was really bland and gave away all the big surprise moments. Again, I'm really glad I went into this movie with so little.
I think District 9 is a future classic.
I thought it was very much in the vein of an earlier generation of action films, in the good way. It reminded me of Alien, Mad Max, The Terminator, Die Hard, in a way that I can't really articulate. It just seemed very different and much better than most of the action films that have been made in the past 15 years.