Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's Kim Jong-il Fact™: North Korean state media reports that Kim routinely shoots three or four holes-in-one per round. (Wikipedia)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard  (Read 4112 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MrMandible

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09122009

Mr. K cannot be guilt-tripped, apparently.  Not by C.H., anyway.



(fixed link - w)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 01:58:00 pm by wombat »
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 11:49:27 am »

Not sure I get this.  Why does CH think Beef a coward? Because he wouldn't stay and die like he was supposed to?  Because he ruined CH's scheme?

Yeah, fuck that guy.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 12:18:27 pm »

I think you had the wrong link. Here it is: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09122009

I woke up early for some reason today, and in my groggy state when I clicked the above link I thought I was losing my mind. Maybe I should go back to sleep, which apparently is an act of defiance.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 12:24:10 pm by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Liz

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 01:13:58 pm »

I was also disappointed in this story arc and I have returned from the dead just to complain!

None of Beef's actions have made sense to me, from the first shot where we were supposed to be "swerved" by the idea that he was cheating on Molly with a prostitute, to his totally passive acceptance of CH's scheme. Maybe in Onstad's head (or somewhere on the fanflow) this is consistent with RB's characterization but he is not doing a good job of communicating it.

I could buy Beef just chastising himself in those words based on the fact that he has got depression, but to have it confirmed that Beef "failed" somehow, I just don't understand it.

I mean, who is the dying man? Is it the karma machine? Or perhaps the president of Williams-Sonoma, whom he abandoned to the angry lesbians?

I'm sure the real answer is supposed to be "himself" but I can't really figure out why; see my earlier complaints about not "getting" RB's characterization, I guess.

Well the Karma Machine was a good design, anyway. And the detail of Molly calling it his "little" 'zine-around club. I mean, who is not driven crazy by having their interests referred to in this way?
Logged

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 01:19:08 pm »

The Molly parts of this strip were the best parts of this strip.
This should tell you what I think of this strip.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 02:03:33 pm »

But, people. Beef is asserting himself. And against the terrifying Cartilage Head, no less. Even if it's only asserting his great skill at being hella depressed about himself, isn't this is a wonderful thing? And that stupid pretentious Cartilage Head, I've always wanted someone to put him in his place. Yeah, fuck that guy!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

atalkingdog

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 02:14:36 pm »

what does Cartilage Head do when he isn't engineering these death events?

it is  hard to imagine running into him at a restaurant.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 04:56:09 pm »

Hooray!  Hooray for you Mr. Roasted Beef.  Hooray for you!

Rock on with your bad self.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 06:11:47 pm »

what does Cartilage Head do when he isn't engineering these death events?

it is  hard to imagine running into him at a restaurant.

Totally! He's probably completely pathetic. He never goes out, spends all his time posting stuff on the internet, pretending he's someone much cooler than he really is.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 09:29:42 pm »

So what really happened?

Beef was fated to suffer the Lash of Thanatos so Cartilage head intervened to turn his death into a show.  If CH had not gotten involved would Beef had died in some other way?  It's confusing to me because if the Lash was Beef's fate, why did CH ask permission to use him?  If it was fate he didn't really have a say in the matter.

If it is fate and not just a game that CH is playing couldn't he not just come and get him again and finish the job?

His fate was to be reincarnated as an unfortunate being.  Isn't Beef already an unfortunate being?  Maybe by walking back into his bedroom he was actually fulfilling the fate of the Lash of Thanatos.  But if that were the case the note doesn't make sense again. 

I am wholly unsatisfied with the resolution of this arc.

Still no fin though so maybe there is more yet to come.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 09:47:23 pm »

Here, Beef seems different than what we've ever seen of him. More assured. Like at the end of back To the Future, but with the roles switched around. So maybe that's a bad example. I'll try to think of a better one*. What I really mean is that there is this sense of indignance now where before there was passive resignation. The sense that the Beef Molly said bye to yesterday is not the same Beef who she is greeting this morning. A gulf between expectation and reality. Beef is a new man.

*Maybe the end of Superman II? Still not perfect... Maybe it's like the end of the Stardust movie...
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 10:36:42 pm »

But, people. Beef is asserting himself. And against the terrifying Cartilage Head, no less. Even if it's only asserting his great skill at being hella depressed about himself, isn't this is a wonderful thing? And that stupid pretentious Cartilage Head, I've always wanted someone to put him in his place. Yeah, fuck that guy!

My thoughts exactly, omba. Tiny can.
Logged

atalkingdog

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 11:49:30 pm »

So what really happened?

Beef was fated to suffer the Lash of Thanatos so Cartilage head intervened to turn his death into a show.  If CH had not gotten involved would Beef had died in some other way?  It's confusing to me because if the Lash was Beef's fate, why did CH ask permission to use him?  If it was fate he didn't really have a say in the matter.

If it is fate and not just a game that CH is playing couldn't he not just come and get him again and finish the job?

His fate was to be reincarnated as an unfortunate being.  Isn't Beef already an unfortunate being?  Maybe by walking back into his bedroom he was actually fulfilling the fate of the Lash of Thanatos.  But if that were the case the note doesn't make sense again. 

I am wholly unsatisfied with the resolution of this arc.

Still no fin though so maybe there is more yet to come.

this is a philosophical diversion.  continuity isn't so important in achewood as nerd-fest mainstream comics.

we've seen Cartilage-head before.  he frightened Ray.  Did this give Ray the extra Ooomph to engage in the Great Outdoor fight?

Roast Beef dropped the pamphlet before learning how to escape being reincarnated as an Unfortunate Being.  through Cartilage Head Roast Beef has escaped a propensity toward being an unfortunate being.  he now has much less propensity for being an unfortunate being.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 12:15:38 am »

Fuck that guy!
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

ananke

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 74
  • !لو ائكل الخنزير لأموت
    • View Profile
Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 12:40:00 am »

"It's not easy being Depression McGuyver," thought Depression McGuyver, as the cartilage creature baselessly trashed his depression chops.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up