Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.  (Read 5370 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 12:58:21 am by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 12:57:24 am »

Shit. At least we know what took him, and there won't be a 24/7 media circus with conspiracy theorists and pundits. It will be dignified. Just as Patrick was in life.

You will be missed, Patrick. You were a cowboy, and a dancer.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 01:07:46 am »

He was just a guy who did his thing, and was pretty classy most of the time. A quality that I'll miss, I guess. As much as one dude can miss another dude who was in Dirty Dancing, anyway.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 01:11:29 am »

I liked Patrick Swayze even though his movies all pretty much sucked ass.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 01:13:21 am »

Well I watched that interview he did with baba wawa and it sounded like his life was a living hell. Waking up at like 3 in the morning and rolling around on the bathroom floor in pain just to get his system going for the day. So at least hes at peace now.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 01:41:26 am »

For some reason, I had hoped he'd be one of the 2% who beat pancreatic cancer.  Maybe because he was a celeb whose marriage seemed OK?  Exception proving the rule probably.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 02:38:57 am »

Can't say I cared for much of the guy's work but he fought a bad turn valiantly and seemed like a good dude as celebrities go.

In the world of Ned Flanders, "Godspeed, little doodle".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 02:43:26 am »

He seemed like a class act, but he was in Red Dawn, so I'm hating that.  Otherwise, hey, RIP actor dude.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 03:41:49 am »

When he hits the Pearly Gates, I bet that St. Peter will say:

"I thought you were taller."

Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 04:57:35 am »

On the plus side, in Heaven he will be reunited with Jennifer Grey's nose.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 05:13:45 am »

My friends and I had a running joke (not that running to be honest because who talks about Patrick Swayze that often?) that his creepy pedophile character from Donnie Darko was his real personality. So now I feel like a douche because I Made Light of a fellow with Problems.
Pancreatic cancer though... ech. Not one of the fun ones.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 04:17:44 pm »

I chatted with Mr. Swayze once, during the time when a bunch of my friends worked on a film with him.  From all accounts of those I knew on set, he was a decent guy who didn't participate in the ego machine of celebrity, and that's saying something.  When I talked to him he came across as an ordinary person, working in an out-of-the-ordinary field of work in which few normal, well balanced people work.  I don't remember what we talked about, but I do recall it was a comfortable conversation without any nuances of the weird power dynamics that can come up when talking to the "star" of a film.  I suppose when you're famous, people are always looking for proof you're an egomaniacle asshole (and let's face it, we're all assholes some of the time) but of all the truly famous people I've met, I'd say he's the only one who didn't set off my Jerkface meter, and it's a pretty sensitive meter.  I remember thinking he seemed like such a normal guy.  It was only afterwards, when I was alone in my car that it hit me: "huh - that was Patrick Swayze.  Dirty Dancing, Donni Darko...  Wow.  Neat."

Here's to Patrick Swayze - may his epitaph read "Actor (Not a Dick)."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 05:21:34 pm »

Patrick Swayze is from Houston and I've met a number of people through the years (maybe 6) who knew him back when he was a kid growing up here.  They all have said he was one of the nicest people ever.  One of those people lived on his street in a sub division and presumably knew him pretty well.  She said he mowed the yard at her family's house.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jacques_schitt

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 3
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 11:13:42 pm »

Pancreatic cancer though... ech. Not one of the fun ones.

There's a fun one?
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Swayze, Dead. He had the time of his life, and he thanks you.
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 11:22:30 pm »

You know which one. 'tickles cancer. *runs*
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:28:03 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up