Hurm,
wiki claims that the protocol used in Israel wasn't any different to that used in other parts of the world but confirms that the Israeli government is providing compensation, which seems contradictory.
I've also found
two different articles that seem to be talking about the same population but quote different amounts of radiation, which is frustrating. This might be a misunderstanding on my part though as both show an increased risk.
I did find an article from 1949
outlining the technique, or rather a modification to it, which talks about using 300 rads which is equal to about 3 Grays (similar to the amounts quoted in the first article I linked above), and reports many of the children feeling nauseous (then again kids feel nauseous a lot of the time). Some brief googling suggests that 3 Gy is certainly getting up to the sort of level that can cause serious damage, particularly for kids and particularly if it was done all in one go.
Not sure what any of this showed but it was an interesting way to spend half an hour. To be honest I'm kind of more interested in what happened to the technicians, I don't imagine safety standards were awesome back in the day.
I don't have flash on this computer, but what kind of numbers do they quote in the documentary?