Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?  (Read 13523 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 08:22:41 pm »

Hopefully this will not end in tears but I was (IDLY) thinking that dude should maybe hire an artist and focus solely on writing. All the characters' countenances are already established, any kid can reproduce them faster and more efficiently anyway. Drawing over-elaborate stuff like the karma wheel oughta sap a dude's willpower, dontcha think (maybe there's a function here somewhere)? Achewood with proper backgrounds now there's a thought (15 pages follow debating the importance of the je ne sais quois-ness of Onstad's unstyle to the achewood experience, etc).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:54:54 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Toaster

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 193
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 629
  • I'll have you slayed!
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 08:28:04 pm »

The issue of what Beef is going to do next will be the focus of the arc from here on out. The emergence of the new Beef.
Logged
My OCD makes me care about things.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 09:39:37 pm »

this whole arc feels like a bunch of achewood references thrown together.

Remember leo fontanette?
remember cartilage head?
here's a quote from last time we met cartilage head.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Cap'n Squeakers

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 36
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 146
  • I MET THE GUY WHO INVENTED SALAMI
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 09:40:52 pm »

I don't understand why, when people don't like a comic, their first response is something like ONSTAD YOU SUCK YOU BEAT YOUR WIFE GO TAKE A VACATION YOU RAPED AND MURDERED A GIRL IN 1990 YOUR SUCK LEVEL IS OVER 9000 or something like that

Lick me raw, Bobby.  I'm sorry if my opinion isn't the same as yours or if, gasp!, it is negative. Is this a forum for handjobbing the author of a webcomic, or is it somewhere a dude can post an opinion.  Look at my posting history - I almost never straight-up say "Onstad eats it."  But, y'know, that's what I felt this time and I wrote it.


Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 10:18:42 pm »

Onstad's suck level is not over 9000 yet, but it's rising.  I may have to figure out what the hell an "RSS feed" is.
Logged

atalkingdog

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 01:48:44 am »

these are multi-contexts punchlines and barbs.  in this story alone, and along the greater storyline.

we can tell Onstad isn't milking continuity because characters rarely bring up the Great Outdoor Fight, or other past events.  they don't even act as if they've died and travelled in the after-life multiple times.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 02:22:16 am »

I am thoroughly expecting the meme of "A-Cap and Onstad are superfriends" and tales of their ongoing slightly-homoerotic-but-mostly-just-what-10-year-old-boys-would-do-together-with-grownup-type-money adventures together to take over this board, by the way.

Don't let me down, gang.

I wasn't here to figure out what the fuck "Gina's pu$$y" was all about, other than the fact that it was apparently voluminous, I need to live through one of these.

(example: A-Cap brings a copy of Cap'n Squeakers posting to his lunchdate with Onstad, Onstad seems genuinely moved and saddened by the reaction until he yells "Psyche! Psychepsyche superpsyche!" and throws a wad of money at him out of a bag crudely marked "Subscription Service $$$" and they proceed to have a jolly money-fight. Bonus points if we get a rose-petals "American Beauty" reference.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 02:42:03 am »

As montage music goes, I'm torn between "Up Where We Belong" or "Happy Together" for the A-Cap/Onstad bromantic interludes.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 02:48:37 am »

C'mon.

"Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head".
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

ananke

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 74
  • !لو ائكل الخنزير لأموت
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 03:18:47 am »

Onstad's use of "permanently" over the years has always tickled me raw. "An old man who is permanently vomiting," "men in white lab coats had been paid to make sure that he permanently liked this food." And now "permanently driving a 1973 Honda Civic between Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores." Definitely not the only one of his -isms that has found its way into my idiolect.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 03:26:10 am »

Jesus...
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 04:05:02 am »

Quote from: Arachno-capitalist
Jesus...

Yes, my son?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

atalkingdog

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 20
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 05:19:59 am »

Onstad's use of "permanently" over the years has always tickled me raw. "An old man who is permanently vomiting," "men in white lab coats had been paid to make sure that he permanently liked this food." And now "permanently driving a 1973 Honda Civic between Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores." Definitely not the only one of his -isms that has found its way into my idiolect.

most of us old timers don't remember the strip with that degree of precision and depth. 

all i can really remember are the repeating motiffs of, "is this a thing"..."it is...a thing".  and "galaxy nachos".

Do not threaten me.  I will do the threatening here.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 05:40:30 am »

Next time A-CAP and Onstad are playing "Truth or Dare", I think it would be rad if A-CAP "truthed" him if he is "atalkingdog" or not.

Get on this, A-CAP. The weight of the world is on your shoulders here, don't "shrug" it off.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2009, 05:55:19 am »

my roommate and I, to bring together truth-or-dare and homosocial/homoerotic relationships, were joking about doing a 4-hour episode of our radio shows (2 hours each, back to back) that is "call-in truth or dare."
because, you know. no one would be able to see if we were doing the stuff or not.
We would probably bring in stuff to make gross sound effects.

I don't think I really "got" homoeroticism until I lived with this guy.
you know what they say. When you're best friends with someone, every Bromance seems like it's about you.

...we really need for one of us to be dating someone, we spend so much time together that it's getting weird.

I just realized: I say that, and 10 minutes ago he invited himself along on my first date with a girl.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up