Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?  (Read 13530 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2009, 06:47:33 pm »

I love love love this song's guitar but most of their other stuff is not my cup of tea.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2009, 06:50:32 pm »

At a party recently this dude almost wanted to fight with me because I said "Fuck the Eagles" when he told me he and his wife were going to see them in concert.  I had no idea he was so touchy (read drunk).  But I didn't mean I don't like their music, just that they had made some douchebag moves recently firing an original member so they do a tour and cash in on Eagles nostalgia.  

Later on I had to bite my tongue when he told me Phil Collins was his favorite of all time, because Phil Collins is a douchebag AND his music sucks.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2009, 06:55:58 pm »

I love love love this song's guitar but most of their other stuff is not my cup of tea.

I've been defending the Eagles, I like them, but they're not one of my favorite bands.

Steely Dan however is.  Your Gold Teeth.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2009, 08:44:59 pm »

I'm glad that my enjoyment of the music doesn't hinge on your opinion of it.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  I am likewise glad that my opinion of it doesn't hinge on your enjoyment!
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2009, 08:57:49 pm »

i wonder why it annoys the crap out of me to see a band that has their drummer singing...
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2009, 09:25:29 pm »

I'm always confused by bands where the drummer writes the songs and sings.
Maybe because I can only write songs by figuring out the guitar part first?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Dangermoose

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 191
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2009, 09:49:35 pm »

Maybe we are conditioned to generally expect a drummer to either be insane (Moon, Bonham) or spotlight-dodging (Watts) so when yer Phil Collins or whoever is all, 'hey guys, I'd like to sing a song I wrote for you -- and, and also drum it if that's alright' -- it's just odd.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2009, 10:09:18 pm »

it never occured to me that that dude's two favorite bands had lead singers who played the drums.  I'll have to find out what he thinks of Rare Earth.

Funny thing about Phil Collins is, I really dislike his music, but he's a really great drummer. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2009, 10:47:08 pm »

clapton: pre-1980, cool & good; post-1980, claptrap crap
steely dan: cool, usually good
eagles: claptrap crap
phil collins: it's a trap
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2009, 10:48:39 pm »

Most of eric clapton's music is not my thing.
In high school I thought I really liked him, and listened to this Clapton Anthology thing my dad had.
and then I realized that I liked the first half, which was the Yardbirds and Cream stuff, and not really anything else.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2009, 10:59:26 pm »

Speaking of old men embarrassing themselves... boy, someone should really take Pearl Jam behind the barn and commit the Merciful Act on them (they have a "new" "rock" "album" out, that's why I mention)...
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2009, 04:12:27 am »

The best I ever saw of Phil Collins is when he toured with Eric Clapton and played the drums for him in '86 or '87. That melding worked out real well 'cause Phil mostly shut up and played.

Collins played drums on Robert Plant's first two albums and played in his band on Plant's first tour.  Dude can play the fuck out of the drums. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2009, 06:27:58 am »

The Clapton I've heard is through my mother so I tend to class it as being crass obvious emotional manipulation that I'll sing along to before I realise what I'm doing and shut it off in a fit of self loathing. I can't decide if this is because he actually was more of a constructed artist or whether it's just because it came from my parents and so seems overdone to me since I've heard it forever. I think the description I'd use for how I feel about Clapton is 'like Van Morrison if he was signed to Disney'.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2009, 01:46:29 pm »

Speaking of old men embarrassing themselves... boy, someone should really take Pearl Jam behind the barn and commit the Merciful Act on them (they have a "new" "rock" "album" out, that's why I mention)...

Dear god, yes.  They are embarrassing themselves.

To bring things vaguely back on topic:  I think when it comes to porn where people are denied their desires, it is actually called "this arch in Achewood." 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Tuesday, September 15th, 2009 - What is some trivia that I can know?
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2009, 02:00:58 pm »

Collins played drums on Robert Plant's first two albums and played in his band on Plant's first tour.  Dude can play the fuck out of the drums. 

Isn't he pretty well respected for his work with Genesis in the 70s?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up