Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mary Travers Dead  (Read 1745 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Mary Travers Dead
« on: September 17, 2009, 07:39:07 am »

story

I've always been a big fan of Peter Paul and Mary.  I never saw them perform, but once I bought my parents tickets to see them and my Dad still talks about getting a kiss from Mary at the after show meet and greet.

She had a beautiful voice.

Video
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Travers Dead
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 12:38:36 pm »

She was born in Louisville, which makes her OK with me.

Lovely voice.  Peter, Paul and Mary seem to have been one of the few groups that endured from the folk boom of the early late 50s early 60s.

Now, If I had a Shovel...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Travers Dead
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 01:44:55 pm »

My mother just called me to tell me a little story.  She often keeps her great grand child who is 3 and is greatly enamored of Puff the Magic Dragon and sings snippets of it frequently.  Unbeknownst that Mary Travers had died, this morning my mother decided to look up the song on You Tube to show to the little girl Sadie.

When they watched the video Sadie was taken aback by Mary Travers and kept repeating, I like her, I like her... She's pretty.  She said it over and over.

Just about the time the song ended my father came into the room and informed them that she had died.

Isn't that weird?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Travers Dead
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 04:28:49 pm »

Synchronicity. 

Her surname wasn't familiar to me, but once you put her in context I immediately remembered watching her perform on TV from when I was, like, 7.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Mary Travers Dead
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 01:04:28 pm »

A couple weeks ago one of the kids got a large inflatable hammer as a party favor from a friend's birthday party.  This led to a round of "If I Had a Hammer" for me and the missus, while the kids were like "What?!"
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up