Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Poll

Who would you rather be?

the Beatles
the Rolling Stones
undecided

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Who would you rather be: the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?  (Read 7746 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Who would you rather be: the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 10:31:36 pm »

In asking "who would you rather be,"  to me the question is, if you were to form a band that was to become your life's work, what creative path would you prefer to take?

I love the Beatles, and although I definitely also greatly enjoy the Stones, artistically, I think the Beatles have had a more significant impact artistically.  In the end their work resounds more with me - it gets into my heart every time and has changed me in a way the Stones music has never done. 

That said, there's a major difference between having done something remarkable with a team of artists, and leaving it at that, vs having done something remarkable and continuing on with the same group of artists.  Just getting along with the same band members over the long haul is a major accomplishment.  Beyond that, even when I've tried to stop being an artist, I can't.  I don't necessarily have any desire to chase after my past successes, but I also don't plan to stop creating.  If you're an artist, it's a life-long occupation, so I "get" the Stones on that level.   

Hrm.  I don't know.  I'm still totally undecided.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Who would you rather be: the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 10:38:00 pm »

The thing is, though, if you are Keith Richards, you could still be a musician and not be in the rolling stones and make gabs of money.
Paul McCartney is no longer in the Beatles, and is still a musician. he did not give up his craft.
The difference is whether you move on to new things, or... don't.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Who would you rather be: the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 12:01:18 am »

The thing is, though, if you are Keith Richards, you could still be a musician and not be in the rolling stones and make gabs of money.
Paul McCartney is no longer in the Beatles, and is still a musician. he did not give up his craft.
The difference is whether you move on to new things, or... don't.

I think the main difference between Lennon/McCartney and Jagger/Richards is Lennon and McCartney grew apart as song writers while Jagger and Richards grew together. 

The last 2-3 years of their partnership Lennon and McCartney were collaborators in name only, they wrote separately.  They continued to collaborate on the creation of the recordings, but the days of sitting across from one another on the sette in the living room of McCartney's fathers house were long past.  This is most likely due to the fact that they were both strong song writers in their own right, but also because they grew apart as friends.

Jagger and Richards on the other hand always each relied heavily on the other.  Jagger being the primary lyricist and Richards the main music writer.  Crucially they both knew enough about their partner to edit and make suggestions which is what made them such a great team.


Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Who would you rather be: the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 12:10:36 am »

having done something remarkable and continuing on with the same group of artists.  Just getting along with the same band members over the long haul is a major accomplishment.

Again, the person who shaped the early Stones died in 1969*.  A running joke is that Mick Jagger had him killed. Please, stop with this.  Also, not so much when you aren't really creating anymore.  They just have been doing the same thing since like 71.  That is a group of artists deciding not to create, really.  I guess it is probably a surprise a legitimately good band didn't have one member to know when to stop, at least until later when they needed money.  That is rare maybe.  Oh yeah, also they did, but Mick Jagger killed him.

* they were all good musicians, but he made them different, without him they would have just been The Pretty Things or something, not legendary basically.  He brought a lot to the basic blues of richards/jagger, plus him and richards together on guitar, oh man (though obviously richards gets some credit there too).  Those are all the things that make the Stones more than just a band.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Who would you rather be: the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 02:24:45 pm »

I picked the Stones, but for a different reason:  I liked playing live too much.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Who would you rather be: the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 08:47:06 am »

So okay, looking it over.

Either way, you get a good early head of steam and release some of the best and most influential popular rock of your period, possibly of the century. One of your bandmates will die, and a lot of people will claim that he was the reason you were any good. Eventually either (a) your band breaks up and people say you haven't done anything really memorable since your days in the band or (b) your band does not break up and people say you haven't done anything really memorable since your band's golden days.

However Mick Jagger is rumored to have boned David Bowie, and if there's any dude who a gay affair with is a plus for living that life it's early-70s David Bowie. So point to the Stones, I guess.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Who would you rather be: the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 05:28:05 am »

Somehow, having gay sex with David Bowie might spin the needle around and actually be one of the straightest things of all time.

Through the power of Bowie, gay sex with him might involve him turning into two ladies that you then have double-straight sex with.

Math/theorethical science is not my forte but I think it has something to do with Schrodinger's Cat and the Everett Many-Worlds Theory resolution thereupon. 
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Who would you rather be: the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 01:36:09 pm »

Somehow, having gay sex with David Bowie might spin the needle around and actually be one of the straightest things of all time.

Through the power of Bowie, gay sex with him might involve him turning into two ladies that you then have double-straight sex with.

Math/theorethical science is not my forte but I think it has something to do with Schrodinger's Cat and the Everett Many-Worlds Theory resolution thereupon. 

Fag.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Who would you rather be: the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 10:11:36 pm »

Best thread rebirth ever.

See if this board weren't so guy oriented, I would have asked, who would you rather fuck? Also a tough one to answer.  I bet the Beatles would take you out for a nice breakfast the next morning.  With the Stones, you'd wake up alone, and the hotel room would be trashed but you'd have tried out some pretty wild styles. 

Also, I would do David Bowie, but definitely not two girls.  I don't imagine David Bowie would be all that much work actually.  He'd be a dynamo though.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Who would you rather be: the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 10:27:20 pm »

I would SO do David Bowie. Absolutely.

John Lennon, not so much. Mick Jagger? Uh, no. Paul McCartney?

Hells yes. Then or now, or any stage in between.

Also, Micky Dolenz.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Who would you rather be: the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 12:29:30 am »

Also, Micky Dolenz.

Careful.  If he googles himself he might show up at your front door...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Who would you rather be: the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 01:46:32 am »

Did I miss a news flash? Is this a thing that happens?

If so, I just have two words:

Antonio Banderas.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Who would you rather be: the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 03:33:37 am »

Paul McCartney?  Hells yes.   

As for the Beatles, George Harrison FTW.  As to all other bands, 1980-vintage Sting.  Man oh man.

Edited to add:  1990-vintage Eddie Vedder.  **drool**
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:45:01 am by bluemoon72 »
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Who would you rather be: the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 03:39:17 am »

I read a book about high-end prostitutes once and the only story I remember was the George Harrison story.

That he paid the girl for a blowjob, was playing a ukelele the whole time and when he came he... strummed really fast, like the end of an old vaudeville song.

Gave her a generous tip and then left, not saying another word.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Who would you rather be: the Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 03:41:47 am »

I read a book about high-end prostitutes once and the only story I remember was the George Harrison story.

That he paid the girl for a blowjob, was playing a ukelele the whole time and when he came he... strummed really fast, like the end of an old vaudeville song.

Gave her a generous tip and then left, not saying another word.

Class act, that guy.

Yeah, I'd take George if I couldn't get Paul. But Paul is nerdy, which is an automatic win for me.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up