Anyway, I entirely approve of both the word and concept of "microcosm." The word sounds very nice, and I think the horrible EC comic reprint I remember from childhood that involved the guy constantly shrinking and falling through endless universes inside an atom has permanently endeared me to the general idea.
If memory serves, EC was also real big into those "infinity" covers, wherein someone (usually aliens) would be depicted reading that very comic - cover prominent, natch - and on that cover, etc etc, e.g. HO HO, SILLY EARTHLINGS, HOW DID THEY KNOW, as the planet erupts in Spaghetti-O colored mushroom clouds in the far distance. When I was twelve, I thought this was
mind-blowing.
Also remember some episode of Mork and Mindy wherein Mork shrunk down and down and down into some... [INSERT CLIFFHANGER / SECOND OF TWO PARTS HERE] Scared the ever-loving
shit out of me as a kid. I think yeast was involved. I refuse to research this.
EDIT: TO DO - FUNNY, VAGUELY NAUGHTY COMMENT ON "CRAMMING" GOES HERE