Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Wombat is MAD WITH POWER.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cartilage head connection?  (Read 2756 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bwing

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Cartilage head connection?
« on: September 25, 2009, 12:09:47 am »

Hi all,

I'm a diehard Achewood fan who joined the forum just now to have someplace to ask this question:

So I'm having drinks with a long-time San Francisco resident last night, and he starts talking about this guy Bob Pritikin.  He's a local tycoon who lives in a freakin' STRANGE mansion just blocks from me in Glen Park (SF), hosts musical saw concerts, and according to the SF Examiner put on magic shows called the “Pritikin Squished Eyeball Theater (World Class Magic with a Touch of Terror).”  Sound like anyone we know?

So of course I start wondering if this local bit of Bay Area weirdness was one of Onstad's inspirations for CH.  Spent some time on Google and found lots of stuff about Pritikin (he even has a Wikipedia page) but turned up nothing related to Achewood.  What do you think?  Has anyone else made this connection, or am I smokin' crack?

BTW, has anyone else noticed that the captcha confirm-you're-human thingy looks, uniquely on this site, like the lettering from a Nagel-esque 80s album cover?

- B
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Cartilage head connection?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 12:33:53 am »

Did anyone watch any of that new show about suburban witches or something? There was a butler guy who acted and looked just like CH, complete with handing out strange fancy postcards with instructions. It was uncanny.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Cartilage head connection?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 01:47:03 am »

Interesting observation.  Onstad is from the Bay Area so it's entirely possible there is a connection.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that the captcha confirm-you're-human thingy looks, uniquely on this site, like the lettering from a Nagel-esque 80s album cover?

There was no captcha when I joined the forum.

BTW, I sent a surrogate to Onstad's signing in Portland last night.  Haven't heard back yet about pictures though.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

bwing

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Cartilage head connection?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 05:41:07 pm »

Thanks for the welcome - good to be here.

Just have to share one more story I learned about Pritikin and his performance art.  Remember the 2005 incident where a woman "found" a human finger in a bowl of Wendy's chile (it was a real finger, but she planted it)?  This guy invites folks to his house a few months later, charters a bus (with cocktail service), takes them 50 miles south to the Wendy's in question, and serves them chile.  In each chile bowl is a realistic-looking "finger" he's made out of bread, ink, and press-on nails.

Definite CH move.  Although he'd probably use his own finger and hand you a little card from his bandaged hand.

- B
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Cartilage head connection?
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 07:44:25 pm »

I'd nosh it down with gusto and look around for seconds.  My contribution to the performance.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Cartilage head connection?
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 09:36:06 pm »

I'd nosh it down with gusto and look around for seconds.  My contribution to the performance.

depending upon the type of meat that was used to make the chili, you may not notice a difference...
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Liz

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
    • View Profile
Re: Cartilage head connection?
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 10:05:54 pm »

Although he'd probably use his own finger and hand you a little card from his bandaged hand.

Would he send you a disappointed message the next morning if you refused to eat the finger? There is just no pleasing Cartilage Head.
Logged

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Cartilage head connection?
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:57:23 pm »

someday, we'll find it.....
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: [1]   Go Up