Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood C:\> Get on the Night Train. || You are on the Night Train. There is an Axl Rose here.

Poll

How did you find TOUAMB?

Dumbrella Refugee (Original TOUAMBie)
Assetbar Refugee
Something Else (Describe in Post)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)  (Read 13879 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« on: September 25, 2009, 05:39:30 pm »

Which Cheers character are you?

Lots of new "regulars" around here these days.  If you don't mind, please take a moment and tell us a little bit about yourself. 

About me..., well, I think I'm probably a Norm of the board.  I'm generally well liked I think.  Friendly, self effacing, like to be around other people.  A little bit doofus at times.  Can be a fuck up too, but can always be counted on when I'm needed.  Willing to make friends with anyone, even the Cliff Claven's of the world.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 07:46:09 pm »

I am, without a doubt, Cliff.  I try not to preface my comments with "Its a little known fact...", but I probably come off with that air.  Also, I do not have a New England accent.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 08:05:07 pm »

I think the Cheers angle may make introductions more difficult. The noobs may not have watched a lot of Cheers.


I have not watched a lot of cheers.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 08:29:16 pm by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 08:12:11 pm »

I dunno.  Maybe some unholy amalgamation of Frasier Crane and Woody.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 08:34:50 pm »

I am not a noob, but I have never watched Cheers. I have lived in Boston where I understand it took place, but that's it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 08:45:35 pm »

I've never watched "Cheers" also, but that's easy: I'm any of the drunk dudes that's either screaming mouthfuls of hostile nonsense at the ceiling or passed out on the counter (they have those, right?)
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 09:43:54 pm »

I am probably somewhere in-between Frasier and Cliff, I guess. Which probably isn't that good a description, yeah. How the hell do you sum yourself up in an introduction to new people? I dunno.

Generally liberal but in that blue-collar upper Midwest kinda way where the environment and such are nice but lets get on that all after we fix the economic inequity problems first. Agnostic but ethnically Catholic, sort of married to that as an identity the same way some Jewish ladies and fellas are non-observant but still value the idea of it as a cultural signifier. Grew up in rural northern New York state, live in the bottom-of-the-middle-class suburbs of Los Angeles. Worthless film/TV degree from Syracuse University. Tall, early thirties, male of Southern and Eastern European stock.

Love the hell out of baseball, love the hell out of prog rock. Prone to anxiety attacks, prone to engaging emotionally before engaging intellectually on a topic and getting into trouble because of it. I know just enough about nearly everything to have an opinion but not enough about most things than to have a marketable talent. Consider myself a writer but have gotten wedged into a strange day job situation so as to help my younger brother through some medical problems and most of that has stalled.

I also tend to ramble which is only amplified by the fact that I type very quickly. I am Mike, hello.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 09:52:38 pm »

i have watched cheers, but i was young and probably more interested in g.i, joe, so i dont remember a lot of specifics about the people.  like, i know enough that i understood and enjoyed the comic of when beef came back from the moon and his friends gave him the treat of a cheers themed 'welcome home' party.

i am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

i am a humble fellow who has been gaining confidence in the past 3-4 years.  im a 20-something from mars, and i dont care. ( i actually do)

i finally started my post-HS education in june after becoming a 'displaced worker'.

i enjoy to express myself creatively(writing, drawing, etc), but i feel that  i am not talented or driven enough to make a living at either.

i dont have a babymama, nor have i helped create any babies.

i am large in stature and fatter than i should be.  i am also, half beaner and half cracker.

my hair is gorgeous.

i endeavor to be reliable and helpful,and i have been known to be "too damn nice", but thats another thing about me that i have been changing in the past 3 or 4 years.

im a taurus and a dog.

i like long walks in the forest, during the fall, especially, and i am a snuggle slut.

ISO SF NS ND
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 05:57:10 am by greenkoolayd »
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 10:36:52 pm »

I'm like an unfunny Costanza. Oh, wait, Cheers?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 11:07:13 pm »

My nickname in high school was Norm.  I kid you not.  One of my favorite high school memories is arriving at a basketball game late, and a guy in the student section stood up and yelled "It's Noooooorm!"  Whereupon the whole section went "Noooooooorm!"

So.  I like to cook.  I like baseball.  I have a wife and two little kids.  I have a stuffed otter that looks just like Onstad's.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 01:01:51 am »

I'm an unpaid extra that happened to be walking by the sound stage while on vacation.

I'm the guy that was at the table over by the door in the episode where Sam bought a Volare.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2009, 01:18:45 am »

I am not a noob, but I have never watched Cheers. I have lived in Boston where I understand it took place, but that's it.

I suppose in the context of this thread it is worth pointing out that this is a typical post for me, lamenting that I have no idea about some item of popular culture that is being discussed. I swear I am really not as out of touch as it seems. I think I typically claim that also.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2009, 03:41:27 am »

Paul, this has turned out to be an excellent thread.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 04:28:50 am »

Can I be cousin Balki?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 05:58:01 am »

Can I be cousin Balki?

dont be redicoolos
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up