Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Poll

How did you find TOUAMB?

Dumbrella Refugee (Original TOUAMBie)
Assetbar Refugee
Something Else (Describe in Post)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)  (Read 13842 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2009, 09:17:34 pm »

In this post, Side_show can be summed up as thinking most things are pretty ok, but not awesome.

This also sums up my attitude about Canada most of the time, so, yes.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2009, 11:36:35 pm »

Is that not also the classic Canadian attitude about everything?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

sardoniclaconic

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 5
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 11
  • I have died
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2009, 12:50:35 am »

I think I am probably most like Frasier, only a little less snobby and much more clumsy and shy.

I am a 25 year old gal currently in college. I grew up in Michigan and am a huge fan of snowstorms, which means I'm disappointed for most of the winter now that I'm at school in Ohio. I'm majoring in psychology and hoping to go into psycholinguistics, eventually. I haven't figured out where I'm going to grad school yet, though.
I like to read (both fiction and non), my favorites being Joyce and Faulkner. I also like to write, but only academic stuff (I am terrible at pretty much all creative writing, especially poetry). I also like to ride my bike and run.

I used to hang around assetbar, but decided to step over here because it seemed like a friendlier posting environment. I felt like people there had the tendency to badger and gang up on each other at only the slightest provocation.

Anyway, pleased to meet all of you. You seem like a good crowd.
Logged
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes."
-Jack Handey

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2009, 01:56:23 am »

Another assbar refugee.  Welcome aboard Sardonic Colonic!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2009, 03:46:36 am »

I wonder... Is this new person a displaced assbar refugee?
Yes *shame* I am. And this place seems much less assy already.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2009, 03:48:23 am »

Welcome, both of you.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2009, 03:52:17 am »

Hush you, I'm showing an interest in our new friend's place of business. It would do you some good to maybe show an interest in how a lady likes to spend her time.

Is it OK that I am completely confused in re: the colocation hosting question?   ???  Did some spam sneak in? 

But hey,  if you're willing to pay, I'll tell you whatever you want to hear about how I spend my time.  $5 a minute, $7 to hear it narrated and sent as a .mp3.  I can also sell you some Canadian Viagra or Cialis, cheap. Weight loss pills? Got those too.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2009, 04:37:47 am »

Every time I think to check Lileks

Squeee!  I am delighted that others know about our little gem of a writer. I may not agree with his politics, but wow, do I love reading his stuff. 

Also, Wombat, I present to you:  Jasper's head, on next to a pillow.
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2009, 05:34:56 am »

That is a fine offering for Wombat, as her favorite photography subject is Pugs Resting their Chins On Things, and while Jasper is clearly not a pug, he understands the spirit of the thing.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2009, 06:20:44 am »

Squeee!  I am delighted that others know about our little gem of a writer. I may not agree with his politics, but wow, do I love reading his stuff. 

Many of us (me included) first discovered Achewood when Lileks linked to it. Although I had to stop reading his stuff many years ago.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2009, 01:16:09 pm »

I also came to it originally via Lileks. I have no idea how I found Lileks, and I often wonder about that, because I have spent so much time here that it's kind of like not remembering who introduced you to your spouse or something. It certainly wasn't because of his politics, although, odd thing, what both Lileks and this board taught me in my adult life is that you can like someone even if their politics makes you want to punch them in the snout.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2009, 02:13:55 pm »

Is it OK that I am completely confused in re: the colocation hosting question?   ???  Did some spam sneak in? 

But hey,  if you're willing to pay, I'll tell you whatever you want to hear about how I spend my time.  $5 a minute, $7 to hear it narrated and sent as a .mp3.  I can also sell you some Canadian Viagra or Cialis, cheap. Weight loss pills? Got those too.


I think you'll fit in just fine here... just smile if someone offers you giraffe placenta.

I was checking where your e-mail went to try and figure out if you were a spam bot or not and the domain it goes to is a company that specialises in colocation services. Which I didn't know about. Wiki kind of fixed that but it still sounds like an odd thing to specialise in.

I also came to it originally via Lileks. I have no idea how I found Lileks, and I often wonder about that, because I have spent so much time here that it's kind of like not remembering who introduced you to your spouse or something. It certainly wasn't because of his politics, although, odd thing, what both Lileks and this board taught me in my adult life is that you can like someone even if their politics makes you want to punch them in the snout.

This is Wombat by the way, you can tell it's her because she is speaking wisdom.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2009, 02:16:32 pm »

I too found Achewood via Lileks.  How did I find Lileks?  Hmm, good question.  I'm not sure, but I think it may have been via Playboy magazine.  The old print edition used to have a what's happening online section.  I think they may have linked to Lileks section devoted to Art Frahm.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2009, 02:47:53 pm »

Well I can be sure it wasn't Playboy, as much as that narrows it down.

I wonder if maybe it was Chowhound, somehow? That would be appropriate, what with Achewood being the only comic with its own cookbook and all. I don't know if Lileks ever posted there but maybe someone mentioned his important historic work on horrifying midcentury food.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2009, 07:20:33 pm »

I've added a poll, how did you find TOUAMB?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up