Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Poll

How did you find TOUAMB?

Dumbrella Refugee (Original TOUAMBie)
Assetbar Refugee
Something Else (Describe in Post)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)  (Read 13834 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2009, 08:27:15 pm »

I found Achewood via www.cardhouse.com linking to the Strip Club strips, with Ray putting the dollars under his eyelids.

I then read the entire back catalog.  I also lurked and posted a couple times on the Dumbrella boards (under the name Thumbwrestler).  But maaaan, I generally can't stand internet comments or message boards, so I quickly bored with Dumbrellaboards.

Later I found Touamb via a Google search for some Achewood dialogue.  I lurked for a bit, and then registered, but not as my usual internet moniker.  I created a unique one based on my first/last name since I had BAD BLOOD and INTERNET FISTICUFFS with Bobby Isosceles elsewhere.  Interaction with him made me realize that I had been a cock to him unfairly. 

Everything after that is sweet man hugs.

For him.  Not you.  Don't be gross.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2009, 09:31:08 pm »

I know I'm a little late to the welcoming party; but welcome to the assbar diaspora, all and sundry!

I know that I discovered Achewood in '02 (Beef goes to the moon). As to how I found it exactly, I'm not sure. It may have been linked from another webcomic (QC?), as I was on quite a webcomic tear at that point. Hell, it may have been the result of a google "webcomic" search for all I know. Anyway, it definitely tickled me in all of the right places. I found touamb shortly thereafter, but never worked up the gumption/effort to join until 2006.

It's been a bed of roses ever since.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2009, 11:57:41 pm »

Matt from Mac Hall was an Achewood fan back in the days of the GOF.  He linked to Achewood.com when the monster trucks made an appearance.  I figured some sort of messageboard had to be devoted to such coolness.  Been here since.  Matt and Ian have since moved to San Francisco (from Bowling Green University where MacDonald Hall was the setting for their original webcomic) and now produce Three Panel Soul.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2009, 12:44:02 am »

I am/was a fan of both of those comics.
Logged

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2009, 01:34:45 am »

I too found Achewood via Lileks. 

Thank you thank you THANK YOU to all of you who posted that you found Achewood through Lileks!  I have seriously been racking my brain trying to remember how I stumbled upon this circus of the damned to begin with, after becoming friends on assetbar with greenkoolayd, who just started reading in May.  I was all like, hah, I rock, I've been reading since '02 or early '03, but then I stopped short...how did I find it?  HOW DID I FIND
ACHEWOOD??? It's been bugging me for nearly a month!  And now, the lightbulb has gone on, and I can sleep again.  *whew!*
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

bluemoon72

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 63
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 499
  • 2009 TOUAMB Newbie of the Year
    • View Profile
    • facebook friend me, muthafuckas
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2009, 01:39:38 am »

I was checking where your e-mail went to try and figure out if you were a spam bot or not and the domain it goes to is a company that specialises in colocation services.

AHA!  That explains it.  Yeah, Black Hole Internet is a tiny little company that has been my ISP for literally 12 years.  They are OLD SCHOOL.  I have no idea how they stay in business.  Good lord, after having the same email address for a dozen years, you don't even want to know the amount of spam I get.  They're kind of old school that way, too, in that they don't really have great spam filtering. 
Logged
Quit moanin' at me! What's in the box?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2009, 01:41:29 am »

Thank you thank you THANK YOU to all of you who posted that you found Achewood through Lileks!  I have seriously been racking my brain trying to remember how I stumbled upon this circus of the damned to begin with, after becoming friends on assetbar with greenkoolayd, who just started reading in May.  I was all like, hah, I rock, I've been reading since '02 or early '03, but then I stopped short...how did I find it?  HOW DID I FIND
ACHEWOOD??? It's been bugging me for nearly a month!  And now, the lightbulb has gone on, and I can sleep again.  *whew!*

TOUAMB: Curing insomnia in noobs since 2009.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2009, 03:54:43 am »

A friend of mine pointed Achewood out to me and then, after the archive binge, I internet-searched for related or ancillary sites.

And found this place.

God. What a boring secret origin.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2009, 05:26:33 am »

"top 10 webcomics" on cracked.com
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2009, 09:30:39 am »

A friend of mine pointed Achewood out to me and then, after the archive binge, I internet-searched for related or ancillary sites.

And found this place.

God. What a boring secret origin.

I have the exact same story and based on the time we joined it happened at like the exact same time.

And our usernames deal with mets.  And we are not the same person, does that make it better?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2009, 09:32:32 am »

I think I found it through Websnark, I think. Not really sure.

More interestingly, how do people find TOUAMB now that there's no link off achewood itself?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2009, 10:52:27 am »

I first found achewood based on this Penny Arcade post.  What's weird is that I didn't like it much at the time due to Onstad's disdain for punctuation at the time, but it still intrigued me enough to make the comics bookmark list.

The Dumbrella boards never really clicked with me, so I never registered, and then suddenly the boards were all gone, and I was like, "where did they go?"  Then, later, I finally googled it when Onstad never posted a new link to boards and decided to hang around.  I lurked for a while -- my first post was basically eulogizing my cat, which in retrospect is kind of weird.

That said, I tend to only post here when my internet orbit intersects with this site's orbit, which appears to happen right around when Football does.  Hmm.

(Edited because Paul was right and 2002 was a long time ago)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 05:44:48 pm by Lister »
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2009, 03:38:31 pm »

how do people find TOUAMB now that there's no link off achewood itself?

There has never been a link on Achewood to TOUAMB.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2009, 09:13:59 pm »

it was linked from some other comic, and at first I didn't like it...
I think I read through the archives twice (!?) before I got into it.
At first my best friend also read it, but he got bored of it.
If/when I read through again I'll probably remember what was the first strip I read.

I do remember that I had registered for TOUAMB like a year before I started posting, and that when I got rid of my old email address I lost the password to my TOUAMB account. So I had to wait until some sort of shindig where Jough cleaned out a bunch of old users? I don't remember exactly how this happened.

I used to read a lot of webcomics, but these days I only read achewood.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: Introductions are in Order (Cheers Style)
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2009, 12:04:59 am »

There has never been a link on Achewood to TOUAMB.

Onstad told me about it on AIM, back in the days before he registered for an account here ("monotremes love an oil salad") and before he moved on to A Cap for secret man love.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up